CTX 3030 rusting parts

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had my 3030 going on 7 months now. I purchased it from a reputable dealer, so no, it shouldn't be a knock off.

I give it a good fresh water rinse after every beach hunt.

The battery latches are getting more and more difficult to open and close. I certainly don't have to worry about them accidentally popping open...

I use her in salt water, but nothing more than the occasional floating next to me as I'm recovering a target. Then I give her a good rinse and drying off.

The parts can't possibly be stainless steel (or of any quality anyhow).

Does anyone know if this is a warranty item, is this a general problem, or is it just mine?

Many thanks...
Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 2.31.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 2.31.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 2.31.12 PM.png

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought that was normal as mine do the same. I use gun oil.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Screws will rust in salt water, even stainless/corrosion resistant ones. When I made my shaft for my excal I used all plastic screws.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My At Pro gets rusty screws, but other than that, no worries...

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought that was normal as mine do the same. I use gun oil.

My Stealth scoop lives in salt water... not a spot of rust on it.

I know there are different levels of stainless. Some you can pick up with a magnet, some you can't.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems at the cost of it, should be brass or stainless

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've received information that it's covered under warranty and the pins will be replaced.

I really do love this machine...

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
My Stealth scoop lives in salt water... not a spot of rust on it.

I know there are different levels of stainless. Some you can pick up with a magnet, some you can't.

My scoop as well, but my ADA Stainless Invader has some little rust. Who knows man, I just use gun oil when it gets bad but I really do not bother cleaning them off. Its a tool that has paid for its self time and time again and will one day be replaced.

If you can get that stuff replaced then maybe try using some clear finger nail polish. I used that on all attachment screwed to my Hobie PA 12, 14 and 17T. Works wonders.

Do let us know if they correct the issue for you.

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I experienced the same, even after just 2 times surf hunting. Even the coil connecter and the screen connecter, the ones that screw on i side started to get a green tarnish. I mean comon for this price what does it cost to put real stainless screws in... I had expected more in this aspect

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm using scuba gear silicon spray after every salt water hunt.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I use, mmmmm nothing on my other stainless steel stuff.

Real stainless only requires a rinse off with fresh water and it's good.

I find a lot of cheap chinese (intentionally not capitalized) crap on the market. When I shop for stainless, I carry a neodymium magnet.

By the way- yes, KellyCo repaired it for no cost. They are always pretty good to me up there- except for letting me hunt in the garden after hours. They won't let me do that. (or be alone in the showroom for more than 30 seconds)

The one guy up there- Marvin, Mark, Martin.... something like that, always follows me around with a very suspicious look in his eye- he's a strange one he is...

I think he's packing a Klingon Death Ray under his shirt.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I experienced the same, even after just 2 times surf hunting. Even the coil connecter and the screen connecter, the ones that screw on i side started to get a green tarnish. I mean comon for this price what does it cost to put real stainless screws in... I had expected more in this aspect

The screws are anodized stainless steel. Connectors want turn green or get corrosion if they are washed off with hot fresh water. After hunting salt water I disconnect the cables and rinse my 3030 in hot water in shower, I also spray connectors every few hunts with silicone or CDC contact cleaner.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread