Excal depth in PP and Disc

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done hundreds of both air and buried target depth tests on excals in test garden. I always get more depth in pp than in desc mode... on a dime buried 12 inches in pp, no problem seeing it but in desc it rarely sees the dime at 12 inches, some excals I have tested stock 10" coil even sees the quarter buried at 18 inches. (Not all excals are equal from the factory, just like all electronic products some are better than others with all the electronics matching up perfectly.

When in pp, I turn the threshold down to the lowest point I can set it, to the point if I turn it any lower it disappears completely. Using that setting in pp I get max depth....If I turn it lower it doesn't see target, if I turn it up the threshold masks the target response since it is just a whisper when it is deep....

Since I have yet to see any coins floating in the air although I do use surface targets for testing recovery speeds on depth I go off the results of the buried targets I have in the ground in the test garden. Nickle at 6 inches, dime at 12 inches quarter at 18 inches....

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My results on Central Florida beaches echo Treasure Hunter's. PP is indeed significantly deeper.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing AB, And a very good video........those are just about the same results that you would get with any stock Excalibur I believe, and it shows just what one would conceive as the results if one did not know the little secret details of the machine. I have several friends that will not hunt in PP because they are fresh drop hunters and they swear discriminate is no different then PP but they have yet to pick up on what is going on in PP. I'll take them hunting with me at old beach's and they are bedazzled that I come home with a pouch full, and them just a few coins... but on the other hand I go to a fresh drop beach and I'm on their playing field and do no better then them...PP targets just don't come out strong and being able to determine those iffy signals or super faints can really mean the difference in a piece of gold or some old silver. If I remember correct several years ago I did a test just like yours in a totally silent room, stock machine,..no EMI or anything. The results I found were, I was missing targets when hunting outside in the world of noise. I could hear a quarter at 20 inch's in PP but in the outside world maybe 13 to 14. And these were airtest... From this I determined the detector is seeing these targets, I'm just not hearing them... So the first thing on my list was to make a set of headphones so I can hear these targets, I did the Doc's Amp which worked great but water proofing it was a real pain and still not 100%. So I made the skullies, I can say I have yet to achieve the quarter at 20 inch's but a big improvement over stock.

I could go days on this subject but like I tell my friends, Use what works best for you....

Here is one of those hunts with a friend who is a 30 year veteran using a CZ21,

I got 21 silvers, 5 gold's.. he got 3 coins and a bathing suit snap..

Also he is a fresh drop hunter

I've only got "ONE" thing to say!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
That's very interesting how much of a difference headphones can make on this machine. I plan to mod the machine this fall/winter and am still debating what I want to do.

I think the most interesting finding in my test is how sensitivity affects Disc so much but not PP and how threshold affects PP so much but not Disc. With my stock headphones I guess that's as good as I am going to get with this machine. I was thinking of trying some eargels to see if they made a significant difference.

Last edited:

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Yeah I found pinpoint deeper on sovs and excals too.
headphones make a big difference, especially at places like the ocean where there is constant noise from wind, wave action and so on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread