Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy go got a 10 gold eagle this week said it rang up like brass trash. Whatever that means to you.

Maybe a coin dealer would let you bench test it on a gold coin.

I think you need to be the right place, and dig all the targets :p

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to depend on the size of the gold coin as well but size for size the gold coin is going to come in way lower than a silver coin of the same size, the dollar gold coins are smaller than a dime. Your going to dig a lot more signals that you might not always dig but trash is still going to be a broken signal sometimes where the coin should be a solid signal at least so you will still be able to pass up some trash. HH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, this is another case where size matters!:laughing7:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never dug a gold coin but my E-trac Emulator on the computer rings the 10 dollar gold coin up as a 12/38 the 20 dollar gold rings up as a 13/44 five dollars rings up as a 12/30 two and a half rings up as 12/21 and the one dollar rings up just under a nickle at 12/11

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The general areas are outlined below for the E-Trac and CTX (different soils will cause differing results):

E-TracTargetGrid2.jpg

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy go got a 10 gold eagle this week said it rang up like brass trash. Whatever that means to you.

Maybe a coin dealer would let you bench test it on a gold coin.

I think you need to be the right place, and dig all the targets :p

Yes....Dig all targets if you really want to find a gold coin. I tested a 5 dollar coin on a CTX and it was below the zinc penny, something I normally would never dig and guess what...Never found a gold coin haha

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never found a gold coin, but I have found some gold jewelry. I have found that gold does ring up in the trash ranges, the VDI is usually more steady on gold than with trash, and hits harder. Even at that, I dig a lot of pull tabs and square tabs. No getting past digging some trash. But if it were as easy to identify as silver, then it would all be dug by now.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found two, one just the coin, the other in a bezel attached to a chain. The coin (1911 half sovereign) came up
12-34/5 on my CTX. The chain, well, that was all over the place but I recall seeing 30/31 a couple times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread