Took the leap

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from an XTerra 305- to a APT to a CTX3030 - what a transition. its such a difficult machine to fully understand as their are so many options--- but I love it, and Andys book is a mst have.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Whether you get a little or a lot out of his books may depend on how you learn, how many years you have MDing, or a host of other factors.

Everyone is different, so do not expect everyone to learn a bunch from it.

There are a few places in the book where he corrects the Minelab published material and that is nice.

He also documents a snapshot mode that is undocumented, although I cannot see me using it.

The biggest thing I got out of the machine were the settings of several experienced users, and commentary on why they set the machine up the way they do.

Can you get this info elsewhere?

Maybe, but I am happy to have it handy at all times.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the suggestions! I have had the E-trac for a little over a week. I have about 30 hours on it. At first it was frustrating. (a Minelab 705 it is not.) But the more I use it the more everything makes sense. I have thought about Andy's book. But not sure yet. I have downloaded his patterns and are loaded in my detector. I got cocky and wanted to find some old coins, so I went to an old railway station I had my eyes on. The grass was high and everywhere iron. It sent me home crying without a single find. So then I went back to youtube and found a guy called mowerdog who has a tutorial on how to set up the E-trac to see through the iron. It is amazing! I might have to go back to that site armed with his settings and give it another shot with a sniper coil. I am loving this machine. But with any detector, if you don't get it under your coil, you ain't gonna find it.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mike good luck with it but hold on to your 705, its really a good machine also.

The Etrac is the best detector I have ever owned. The one real drawback is its balance, to me its like swinging a lead pipe. Theres no counter balance, its like the whole thing top to bottom is the same weight.

I would suggest keeping it as simple as you can. I don't care for programs, pretty much just iron and disc setting appropriate to the site. It does a great job, make sure and work it slow in iron and you mentioned the sunray X5, that's a great coil to have.

You also mentioned Gerrys detectors, I just watched some videos of him setting up the X-terra for park jewelry hunting and also one where he found a ring for a lady. He explains stuff clearly, defiinelty seems like a good guy you got your detector from.

Best of luck, and get hunting while you can, Montana winters aren't to kind are they:occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike, I read Andy's book on the Etrac. I understand the premise, but the book also covers the Explorer and he jumped around between them. They are very similar machines, but a whole lot of us bought it for the Etrac. That was distracting. Now, his book on the CTX is sooooo much better, and is encyclopedic.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike, I read Andy's book on the Etrac. I understand the premise, but the book also covers the Explorer and he jumped around between them. They are very similar machines, but a whole lot of us bought it for the Etrac. That was distracting. Now, his book on the CTX is sooooo much better, and is encyclopedic.

I totally agree. I got very little out of the Etrac book. I read it multiple times and it's mostly common sense if you have a grasp on how machines work already. I would like to hear from someone that never detected before and started out with an Etrac to hear their opinion.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have seen some of my other posts in todays finds you know that the new etrac has been working great for me. In a couple of weeks time I have found a gold ring, 3 silver rings, 2 Wheaties, and a Merc. I just received the Sunray X5 coil the other day for my trashy parks. So far a wheatie, and a 1954 nickel, even found a copper penny right next to a rusty bottle cap. I am sure it will be sniffing out more good stuff. This year I feel real good about my detecting arsenal. Now it is up to me to learn to be proficient with my new tools. The future looks great!

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike good luck with it but hold on to your 705, its really a good machine also.

The Etrac is the best detector I have ever owned. The one real drawback is its balance, to me its like swinging a lead pipe. Theres no counter balance, its like the whole thing top to bottom is the same weight.

I would suggest keeping it as simple as you can. I don't care for programs, pretty much just iron and disc setting appropriate to the site. It does a great job, make sure and work it slow in iron and you mentioned the sunray X5, that's a great coil to have.

You also mentioned Gerrys detectors, I just watched some videos of him setting up the X-terra for park jewelry hunting and also one where he found a ring for a lady. He explains stuff clearly, defiinelty seems like a good guy you got your detector from.

Best of luck, and get hunting while you can, Montana winters aren't to kind are they:occasion14:

Thanks for the info. Sadly I traded my 705 and some cash for the Etrac. I have no regrets though. This is the machine I have been wanting for a long time. You are right the balance is not as good as other machines I have had. But I made a homemade detecting sling using a camelback harness and some elastic cord. Works great and really takes the weight of your arm. Plus I always have something to drink while in the field. You can already feel fall here. Seems like a race to get all the detecting I can in. Supposed to have our first frost by this weekend.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread