Put the ctx 3030 into the water today...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did you hit the Noise Cancel button?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was your sensitivity set at, also did you turn on sea water option?

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you hit the Noise Cancel button?
No I did not. I thought that was for like interference noise. The target icon was coming in black. I did not know that I should hit that button. I will try that next time.Thanks

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was your sensitivity set at, also did you turn on sea water option?

DT2016

Sensitivity is factory setting. And I did have the seawater checked. Thanks for the help. Anything settings I should check on.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sensitivity is factory setting. And I did have the saltwater checked. Thanks for the help. Anything settings I should check on.
Factory setting as in what?

DT2016

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Factory setting as in what?

DT2016

Factory setting for sensitivity is "Auto Sensitivity". Does fine while hunting in 6inches of water, but taking it deeper it starts to go crazy. Could not even hunt in the water. Same water, same sand, should be same sensitivity. Just deeper. Right? I will manually set the sensitivity next time out. I just thought I read not to change sensitivity when just starting out. So I left it in auto. Thanks. Anything else I should try?

Last edited:

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wave action gives me falses, I run auto +3. Probably try manual when up north.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wave action gives me falses, I run auto +3. Probably try manual when up north.
Thanks for the reply. I will try several different things at my next outing. Falseing is one thing, this machine was going crazy. Totally unusable in 2ft plus. dry/wet sand even up to a foot it worked great. But going any deeper...not. I am sure there is a fix with the settings. I just need to find out what they are.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did also notice that when the coil cover fills with sand it acts up too.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Try this can:
Submerge the coil in water-Switch to Manual Sensitivity-Check the recommended Sensitivity number on the bottom right of the Detect Mode Screen-Adjust the Sensitivity to that number-Press Noise Cancel and let it run to 100%-Swing the coil and see what response you get-Adjust the Sensitivity upward to the highest level you can as shown on the bottom left side of the Detect Mode Screen without getting any falsing (usually 5-6 points above the recommended number on the right). Let us know how that works...

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
As everyone else said - noise cancel + manual sensitivity. Also, you probably have very similar sand as me...if you are not, start using manual sens. I find I can get +6-7 what the machine recommends on auto without falsing.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did also notice that when the coil cover fills with sand it acts up too.
Thanks for the help. I just cleaned the cover before going hunting.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this can:
Submerge the coil in water-Switch to Manual Sensitivity-Check the recommended Sensitivity number on the bottom right of the Detect Mode Screen-Adjust the Sensitivity to that number-Press Noise Cancel and let it run to 100%-Swing the coil and see what response you get-Adjust the Sensitivity upward to the highest level you can as shown on the bottom left side of the Detect Mode Screen without getting any falsing (usually 5-6 points above the recommended number on the right). Let us know how that works...
Thanks for the help penzfan, I will definitely give that a try.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As everyone else said - noise cancel + manual sensitivity. Also, you probably have very similar sand as me...if you are not, start using manual sens. I find I can get +6-7 what the machine recommends on auto without falsing.
Thanks Adambomb, I was not using manual, nor was I using noise cancel. I will try using these helpful tips next time out and will report back. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the Check list.

If coming out of a HOT car, let it cool down slowly... This saves from plastics cracking, expanding contracting and leak spots.
All seals are TIGHT, Clean and free of debris.
Turn the machine ON in the water next time after cooled down, once on, make sure "Ground Balance is OFF", "Saltwater is ON", "Noise Cancel is pressed when in the water" and Sens is Auto (Can change +/- as you go)

Ground Balance Off is key, so is cooling the machine slowly. A friend of mine had his main battery/guts housing explode on him as the water was cold and the unit was HOT HOT HOT.

best of luck! Also, we use High Trash as our conditions warrant it, but you will find out once you run through this if something is actually wrong with it. Take care!

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the Check list.

If coming out of a HOT car, let it cool down slowly... This saves from plastics cracking, expanding contracting and leak spots.
All seals are TIGHT, Clean and free of debris.
Turn the machine ON in the water next time after cooled down, once on, make sure "Ground Balance is OFF", "Saltwater is ON", "Noise Cancel is pressed when in the water" and Sens is Auto (Can change +/- as you go)

Ground Balance Off is key, so is cooling the machine slowly. A friend of mine had his main battery/guts housing explode on him as the water was cold and the unit was HOT HOT HOT.

best of luck! Also, we use High Trash as our conditions warrant it, but you will find out once you run through this if something is actually wrong with it. Take care!

Dang bquamb, that is some crazy stuff. Didnt know it got that hot up in canada. I do have a question though. I have been told by many as I have been studying this issue, that I should hunt in manual sens and not auto...though some say if its not broke dont fix it. Thanks for the check list.

OP
OP
C

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, went back out today in the storm. Just had to go. Just wanted to let you guys what I tried. Put the ctx in manual. Was able to get it up to as much as 25 a lot of the time. Took out the falseing. When I was under or close to the pier I hit the noise cancel. Wow. Unbelievable. Thanks so much for the help. Still glad I got the ctx.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions