Thoughts on CTX Settings

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Comrades from my temporary HQ in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Would like some group think from the CTX gurus.

With respect to settings. I am hunting in sensitivity numbers of 14 to 20. I have been using mostly Auto +3, ground-coin mode. As far as volume limit and volume gain go they are maxed out. My targets give of a chirpy type of response usually. Can you give any advice? Do I have to stay in ground-coin with this mineralization?

Thanks
Reaper

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Reaper, I am a new CTX user myself but I have read quite a bit on the forums about setting the machine up as well as Andy Sabisch's book. Everywhere I have read says that you would use ground-coin in areas of high mineralization. If your recommended sensitivity is 12 or below, then kick ground-coin on. If your ground has low to medium mineralization, but alot of ferrous trash, give the ferrous-coin mode a shot. Low and High trash are basically self explanatory. When in low trash your machine locks onto the STRONGEST signal under the coil. When your detector is in high trash mode, it locks onto the BEST signal under the coil. That's what I have read about those modes. I hope that helps you. I look forward to hearing what the CTX pros on here are utilizing. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
USMC Reaper

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Reaper, I am a new CTX user myself but I have read quite a bit on the forums about setting the machine up as well as Andy Sabisch's book. Everywhere I have read says that you would use ground-coin in areas of high mineralization. If your recommended sensitivity is 12 or below, then kick ground-coin on. If your ground has low to medium mineralization, but alot of ferrous trash, give the ferrous-coin mode a shot. Low and High trash are basically self explanatory. When in low trash your machine locks onto the STRONGEST signal under the coil. When your detector is in high trash mode, it locks onto the BEST signal under the coil. That's what I have read about those modes. I hope that helps you. I look forward to hearing what the CTX pros on here are utilizing. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for your input! I didn't know about the mineralization cut off for ground-coin. I will hunt in ferrous-coin on today's hunt and see how that works out. For some reason I was thinking ground-coin for 20 or below so I was freaked out about trying another mode. Have a great day my friend.

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should also consider sitting program 1 as GC and Program 2 as FC then configure the user customizable button ( the one that looks like a person icon on the right side) to swap between the two programs then you can scan the target using both programs and compare the readouts.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
you should also consider sitting program 1 as GC and Program 2 as FC then configure the user customizable button ( the one that looks like a person icon on the right side) to swap between the two programs then you can scan the target using both programs and compare the readouts.

Thank you for a very good tip! It's clear I'll learn something on this thread.

OP
OP
USMC Reaper

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Outstanding recommendations, thanks!!!!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
That user button is great when used like this. Also, I hunt with Dr Tones settings, so I will toggle between the disc pattern and tadpole to see how targets hit in all metal mode as well.

Lately, I have been hunting in manual sensitivity. This is the best thing you can do for depth, but be aware that ID will be off a bit.

But it sure hits deep.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relic in manual mode is real deep.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread