Should I trade in the French machine for a Etrac?

bzepol8

Dec 3, 2010
Folsom, ca
Detector(s) used
deus, tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm tired of not not knowing what's down there. I like a fast machine, but I think I might like digging minimal trash and better ID more than a fast machine. I"m in Cali and dont have much of an iron problem. I have an aluminum problem, which i know no machine is going to solve, but, I'd really like to dig less trash and know better what im digging. Anyone find they have better luck with switching from the french wonderstick to an Etrac? Thanks for the help. Im really wondering about this.....
Brandon

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From my understanding the CTX 3030 is the best coin shooter out their. The Etrac is also great coin shooter. Honestly I have never swung either, but have friends that do. You get 2 sets of numbers to aid in your decision. You can miss a lot by not digging some trash targets. I still dig solid VDI's that ring up in trash tones and have pulled many a cool relic and a few gold items that way. I describe myself as a coin shooter that can appreciate a cool relic or some bling, but my passion is digging old coins.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as the French machine = I presume you refer to the Deus.....

I'm a sold out Minelab guy who has hunted beside a Deus in capable hands. I was pretty impressed.

I've too many machines in my stable as it is, but if a used Deus pops up and I have the money, I'd even consider it. They all have pluses and minuses, but teamed together they'd be pretty formidable.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres your answer the minelab guys are gonna say yes and the deus guys are gonna say no. I got a ctx sitting in my room now that my friend loaned me took it to the park and shot a video with it coin shooting got the usal responce you dont know the machine and thats true. I found it didnt id that great in the heavy trash it did well in my test garden with the depth but not the numbers. If I find someone in my area thats WELL versed with it im gonna shoot another video of the 2 machines in the head to head in trash. When you get your etrac will you please let use know in about 3 months if your finds went up. I dont believe the technology exist in detectors to accurately id NUMBER wise in heavy trash consitently and I believe if you take that approach your gonna be leaving good coins in the ground. So basically in that approach all the suspect targets would be lefted in the ground or the MASKED coins. How long you been swinging the french stick and how you got it set up could be a factor.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who has one if your interested.
As far as the French machine = I presume you refer to the Deus.....

I'm a sold out Minelab guy who has hunted beside a Deus in capable hands. I was pretty impressed.

I've too many machines in my stable as it is, but if a used Deus pops up and I have the money, I'd even consider it. They all have pluses and minuses, but teamed together they'd be pretty formidable.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not itching to go there yet, can't use the 4 machines I have right now. Maybe someday I'll stumble into one - as I've stumbled into each of these. My experience shows the sounds and numbers + depth to be just about as accurate as you can find in any machine, and probably better with the CTX.

My view of the Deus is that it's not better, it's just different, and when you pair the two together you can more readily completely harvest a site. Running alone you'd still do it. Essentially, their talents offset each other.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL! A Minelab Explorer kicks the XP Deus in the chips!:skullflag:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Well Terry. I really was trying to be "soothing" on the subject! It's unlikely I'll ever actually buy a Deus, all good equipment - though some do stand out. CTX of unquestionable potency!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a friend with a XP Deus and a friend with the CTX.. I have 6 machines and yes I have a newer Etrac. The Etrac and the CTX ID better than any detector hands down. The Deus is a beep and dig detector like most are. My F75SE and my MXT All Pro are beep and dig detectors too, but their great in certain situations. If you want to cherry pick a nice lawn nothing beats the Minelabs. The Deus and the F75 are super fast and the Minelabs are really slow. If you want to have a nice relaxing dig use a Minelab (dig less trash). if you want to dig it all use a beep and Dig machine. I do both based on my mood that day :).

in a video or test you cant swing the CTX/Etrac fast like the Deus. The Deus is like a race car and the Minelabs are like fine wine or a really nice Lexus luxury car.

It depends on what you want to drive. Also test gardens and air tests are very limited on having great data for results. Comparing targets in the field is the best way.

Digging since 1977. Hey I still love finding a wheat Cent. I just love the hunt! I hope that feeling never changes :)

Gary from Oregon.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a friend with a XP Deus and a friend with the CTX.. I have 6 machines and yes I have a newer Etrac. The Etrac and the CTX ID better than any detector hands down. The Deus is a beep and dig detector like most are. My F75SE and my MXT All Pro are beep and dig detectors too, but their great in certain situations. If you want to cherry pick a nice lawn nothing beats the Minelabs. The Deus and the F75 are super fast and the Minelabs are really slow. If you want to have a nice relaxing dig use a Minelab (dig less trash). if you want to dig it all use a beep and Dig machine. I do both based on my mood that day :).

in a video or test you cant swing the CTX/Etrac fast like the Deus. The Deus is like a race car and the Minelabs are like fine wine or a really nice Lexus luxury car.

It depends on what you want to drive. Also test gardens and air tests are very limited on having great data for results. Comparing targets in the field is the best way.

Digging since 1977. Hey I still love finding a wheat Cent. I just love the hunt! I hope that feeling never changes :)

Gary from Oregon.

Well said Gary

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of you guys put that id business to the test in a test garden, placing siver in the ground and putting iron around it or trash. You cant test it in the field unless your gonna dig everything how will you know whats masked and whats not if you dont do so. I agree test gardens are not the same BUT they give a real good idea how that machine will do when you put iron in the mix or trash. Finding coins out in the open and getting a solid id on them is alot different than it being surrounded by iron or trash . Of all the ones that have posted above how many have put the id to test in that kind of enviroment? I mean saying it id the one I dug well what about those targets that you choose to not dig because you didnt have a solid id just saying. I relic hunt so I dont have to worry about it but I saw how the trash and iron affect the CTX s id ing capabilities in a negative way.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You a coin shooter, jewelry hunter ?
No real magic bullet solution, hours and hours in the field with any machine will enable you to get more towards you goal, but the fact remains - Consistently pass on foil/aluminum targets with any machine, not a question of if but when you'll pass on something good as well.
Guys who say "I never dig bottle caps because I know what they are" don't really know what they are, they know what they think they are, simple as that.

If you really must discriminate as a matter of routine, then simply do not dig screamers 3" and up, set up a notch to eliminate what you don't want. Try hunting less trashy areas, I don't have a high tolerance for junk either, which is why I rarely ever hunt public parks. I move on to greener pastures.
I've seen used Etracs under $1K and used Deus over, so set up an ad in the wanted/trade section and see what happens. Have heard the Etrac has a fairly high learning curve, so don't be expecting silver coins to come flying out of the ground at you, and be prepared to dig the very same trash you do with the "wonder stick".

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have come to realize for me that no machine is a magic bullet. Whatever I swing I have to spend the time on the tool to learn it. Then I have to spend the time learn where to find the goodies. Then I have to learn why I found the goodies where I did. And a lot of the times it is a matter of sheer luck. And always a sh*t load of trash. I think that is why we get just as excited for the guy who finds the wheatie as the guy who found the Spanish reale. We know how much time and digging it took to find both.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to dig less trash get the Minelab, but most of the guys I hunt with miss many cool items because they focus so much on perfect numbers rather than tones. I have cleaned up on tokens, relics, nickels and jewelry hunting behind guys swinging Minelabs. Admittedly they don't miss much silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It also smokes and eats the lunch of all those tesoros you got listed! just kidding lol

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
How about the unpopular (so it seems) V3i from whites?

Excallent at trash ID. Infinitely more flexible platform.

And it does true all metal with VDI, and it allows you to descriminate using correlate/span, and gives user resolution control....

Conservatively speaking, at least 50% of aluminum slaw can be knocked out with correlate/span alone. You'll only dig the best aluminum signals if you want.
H2H with a Deus, both stock coil, the V3i in all metal can equal if not smoke the Deus. Not nailboard testing - real virgin cellar holes following one another is my experience.

Like you, I've gotten tired of digging trash due to all the up-averaging of trash into the upper VDI range. I understand why it's done, hammered coins in Europe, but in aluminum or rusty sheet metal it's really not a strong point in my experience.The last few months I only swing the Deus when it rains or I'm tired...now that the honeymoon phase is over. :laughing7:

I'm preparing (educationally at this stage) to make some videos this fall to back this up.

:happy1:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cant wait to see the videos Deft tones.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am neither a "Minelab guy" or a "Deus guy"....so here is my opinion: The Deus does one thing really well, maybe the best....it locates high conductors in very heavy iron trash(nails).......the Etrac does one thing really well: locates coins, etc at depth with a very accurate ID. Etrac does not handle heavy iron very well, but is a champ at IDing those Damn bottle caps. Deus is at home at early homesites, etc.......Etrac is at home at old parks, etc. Etrac also works great on the beach.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must be doing something wrong because I swing a CTX and have 3 buckets full of trash in my truck right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread