Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:I am looking to get a smaller coil for my safari for use in high trash areas around homes and a few local parks.
I have narrowed it down to two that I think might work for me, unfortunately they have no reviews on them. Has anyone used any of these coils on their Safari????
Or is there another coil I should consider?

Detech 10x5" SEF WSS Search Coil (Minelab E-Series)

Coiltek 10x5" Treasureseeker Elliptical Search Coil (Minelab E-Series)

:occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used the Detech, but, I have and use the Coiltek 5 X 10 Joey. It works very well. I also have the 3 1/2 X 6 1/2 Snake coil by NEL. I think it's even better for trashy sites. Coverage kinda sucks, but, that's expected with a tiny coil like that. I did some air tests with it and it was 2 inches deeper than the Joey. I know that isn't the be-all and end-all of tests but it surprised me when I could detect a ring 8 inches away. I can get a lot closer to fire rings at the beach and rebar reinforce concrete walls than any of my other coils. I tested it against my stock coil and my 15" NEL Attack coil by first sweeping an area with the bigger coils and then going back over the same area with the Snake. I found several more good targets closer to iron interference than I could with the bigger coils. I've only used it a few times, so, field testing is still underway. So far though, I love it for iron infested spots.

Last edited:

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those coils aren't giving you much advantage over your stock coil(for trashy areas). That's still a 10" footprint your looking at.
Something like a Sunray X5 or around that size is whats gonna help you more.
:icon_scratch:I am looking to get a smaller coil for my safari for use in high trash areas around homes and a few local parks.
I have narrowed it down to two that I think might work for me, unfortunately they have no reviews on them. Has anyone used any of these coils on their Safari????
Or is there another coil I should consider?

Detech 10x5" SEF WSS Search Coil (Minelab E-Series)

Coiltek 10x5" Treasureseeker Elliptical Search Coil (Minelab E-Series)

:occasion14:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sunray X-8 pretty much stayed in all the FBS machines I've owned. It is the perfect sized coil for 90% of the type hunting I do.
I have always liked a 5x10 on several machines I've owned. It gives better coverage than X-5 or X-8 and will give you quite a bit better separation than the 11" and with it being a solid bottom, won't hang up on stubble or brush.

Last edited:

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the NEL Sharpshooter and it works really well on my Safari, just have to go slow....

556baller

Sep 22, 2014
Oceanside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been running a Joey Coil for almost a year, super happy. Running it in rough terrain has been a game changer for me. I don't feel like the difference between the stock 11" and the 10x5" warrents me changeing back and fourth to work open areas.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Fletch, Sun Ray X-8 hardly ever leaves my Safari. Great depth and better separation than the 10x5" coils.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Minelab Coiltek line of coils are far superior on depth and sensitivity on the ones we have tried. I often have to turn sensitivity down when using them because they are so much more precise. They should be, they are the only company that is partnered with Minelab to make their higher end coils and speak at our conferences.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have the nel sharpshooter as well. It does the job and I don't notice any depth loss.

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I ended up getting the Minelab FBS 8" for my Safari and used it this passed Sunday next to the seawall along the beach. Worked well.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a post in the relic hunting forum. " I would like to hear from Safari owners here". If you have time to read this I would appreciate any feedback on the Safari. Thanks in advance.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a 6x8 SEF coil by Detech, and it's a dandy. but the 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 tha "cudamark" pointed out, sounds good in really trash infested areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions