Excal. II 1st Hunt(Dry Land)

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went for my 1st hunt today with my new Excal. II using the Anderson Long Stick.
Dry Land was my only real option this time.

That meant 4.5 hrs up and over steep ridgebacks where elev. varied from 490 ft. to 335 feet above sea level.
And it was a bear! Hadn't hunted this area in two years & I'd forgot how wearing Dry Land hunting could be.
By the time I was done for the day my thighs and knees were begging for mercy. Just one 15min. break for a
warm but tasty Blueberry Red Bull. The reason for this site is privacy and the locale of some small CW skirmish
action. I've found at least a 1/2 dozen Minnies here before - sadly not this time.

Total finds were: 3 quarters, 2 nickels, 10 pennies (one a corroded but older Wheatie that needs cleaning to date),
2 .380 Auto shells, 1 bullet, also .380 I think and found near the shells, 1 fired .22 bullet, and strangely a clutch of
4 .22LR shells and 4 .22LR very old but live rounds. Just a kid plinking? or Jonny Reb skirmishing? And of course, 6
bottle caps and about 30 Pull tabs. Damnable Pull Tabs!

Well, I think .22's were around in the CW era but not sure how much they were used. The skirmish has no name but it
was when the Yanks ran the Rebs out of their own camp and took it over. There are records of a running skirmish as the
Rebs were chased out and down a creek and gone. This was probably the water hole for the camp. I have found most of
my Minnies around this area too and it would've been a good area for enfilade fire against the line of Yanks advancing
into the water hole area and down from a ridgeback. No more details on location forthcoming.

Back to the Excal. II. Settings were Disc/Threshold to mild hum/Vol. Max./Sens Auto/Disc 1. Performance was impressive!
Nulls were a new thing for me but I welcomed this feature as this park is SOOOO trashy beyond belief. I did notice that
sometimes legitimate Nulls could yield a "hit" if you keep resweeping the same spot. Foil was a deep whoop sound that
was quite loud but only fooled me a few times. Pull Tabs - got me over and over. I did begin to notice though that junk
tended to sound - well, junky! But real targets like coins and ammo were always clearer, more "melodious." Shells were
less distinctive. The presence of buried old wire cable lengths play havoc with the machine and seemed to send it into
a spastic chatter that had me worried until I just raised the machine coil up and walked away from that area entirely.
It was not my CW target area anyway. I would've thought on Auto Sens. it ought to have turned that down some from
such a overwhelming target. Turning up DISC. didn't seem to help either.

I had read that Nulls reset to a buzzy sounding threshold which you cleared with another non-iron target. Brass Boot eyelets
usually worked ok for that. Annoying sound that wore my ears out. THE biggest pain was those headphones. Since I was
often laying the machine down to dig they seemed to always be trying to drag off my head and I've heard bad things about
connection cord problems. Shudder!! The Long Stick was lite as a feather, one finger control on the handle. But I also had
some clumsiness in close quarters maneuvering and may try shortening it some.

Bottom line: I have worked that area multiple times before and I have never had stronger signals or an easier time of ignoring
FE+. I have another couple acres of good ground I could work and next time I'll bring a Minnie with me to test its' tone. Hope
to find another!

Replies are welcome and Thanks for reading,

Andrew

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Interesting with the exacl on land. I just got one and wasn't sure if i was going to use it on land as well. I usually use my at pro, but heard you can get some good stuff with this

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used mine for land hunts occasionally, No VDI, but ya got some good full sounds beneath the coil.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I know some that is all they use is the Excalibur. It is the only detector they have and they use it for inland hunting and fresh water hunting ... Well all we have around us is fresh water..And they do very well with it .. If you know your detector and do not Gold prospect all you need is one detector..... BUT don't tell the dealers i said that...You know about all you need is one detector and the truth is that is all you need..

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always spin 90° and rescan all nulls, excal will tell you if there is another target by that iron. Also excal is deeper if you take it out of auto sense and manually tune it...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions