Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there anyone here that is proficient enough with both the 3030 and the deus to list strengths and weaknesses of each of these detectors? From what I have been reading on the detecting forums, it would appear the two compliment each other. Opinions?

I've had the deus since last December and have been amazed with it on occasion. Other times I have the urge to wrap it around a tree. At times wished I had purchased a 3030 instead. (It was my first choice but talked myself into the deus)
I have become addicted to detecting to the point of the idea of another higher end detector in addition to the dues seems like a good idea. (My wife and bank account might disagree)

What does the 3030 do well that deus doesn't, and. vice versa.

I prefer to coin shoot and relic hunt 1800s home/school/church sites. Some are now nothing but corn fields with little modern trash while others have been inhabited for 150 years and enough modem trash to drive one nuts.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I've been back and forth about replying to this but here goes.
1- They are both really good machines
2- They are both REALLY good machines in proficient hands.
3- They both find the same things.
4- They are both really well liked by owners who give them a chance.
5- They both find the same things. Oh wait I said that already.
6- One is light the other is "well balanced".
7- You can use one to find what the other missed.
Seriously, their both fine detectors. I use the CTX, my buddy uses the DEUS. We both dig trash, we both dig treasure.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does the deus make you want to wrap it around a tree? What has you frustrated? I have both and the only reason I got the 3030 is I like to hunt water.

OP
OP
I

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why does the deus make you want to wrap it around a tree? What has you frustrated? I have both and the only reason I got the 3030 is I like to hunt water.

Maybe 'wrap it around a tree' was a poor choice of words. The frustration started when an issue popped up with my WS5 headphones. I truly believe I was only hearing a portion of what the coil was broadcasting. After the headphone issue was rectified, still felt something wasn't quite right with the whole operating system, so I reinstalled V3.2. The best analogy I can think of is having the wrong prescription eyeglasses. It could 'see' targets but reporting them was not as concise as it once seemed to. (not referring to deep target with trash mixed in). Perhaps the system had a corrupted file?
Maybe my brain has a corrupted file? Sometimes I still question whether or not it is operating properly. Would love to meet up with another V3.2, 9" coil user for a hunt to compare operation. (Maybe Calabash would be up for that, I have vacation time and can travel)
Putting together a test garden is getting higher on my priority list.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are 1000's of threads comparing these machines, Deus is fast and fantastic in trashy areas for separation. IMO horrible ID past 4 or 5 inches in depth. I personally for my style of hunting hated the machine and sold after about 25 hrs when I realized there was nothing you could do to get better ID ability at depth.

CTX Waterproof, EXCELLENT ID at depth(my absolute most needed thing since I just can't dig it all) Perfect machine for cherry picking Silver Or a great beach machine looking for gold rings. It is not nearly as fast in trashy areas.

Last edited:

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got over 500 hours on both machines, both are solid detectors that excel in slightly different conditions. If you want a stable machine in highly mineralized conditions/beach hunting and great target ID the ctx is fantastic....although quite heavy to swing for much longer than 3 hours. For endurance hunts the XPs light weight design and superior iron discrimination make it a great tool. There's a reason I own both :laughing7: but if I had to pick I'd take the CTX all day long

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions