Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After much research and asking questions I have decided to get a Minelab Safari Pro Pack.
It's been awhile since I have been active in the hobbie and there are so many machines to consider now that it was difficult to decide .
It should be in my hands tomorrow and the plan is to read the instructions , assemble and bench test to start.
I have an assortment of coins , silver and clad, nickels and pennies along with some trash items that I have dug in the past. These will all be bench tested and then I have a detector garden planed with all the above items included.
This should get me some basic hands on knowledge to start with for the real world.
I'm sure I will have more questions soon.
Dan

ShortbusElite

Jun 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your hunts. I have never used a safari but I run a Minelab and I bet you will be happy with your choice!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good luck! I have heard good things about the safari. Can't go wrong with FBS technology.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Safari goes DEEP, be ready to dig.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go slow.... It will take you a couple months to get comfortable with it. My suggestion is to take out everything from 29 down to -10 and then go out and detect. Where I live 31 are Indians, 34-35 are zinc Penney, 36 copper 37-38 dimes and quarters, 39 silver.

Nickels can be different numbers, 12/13 are V's, 13 buffalos, 14/15 Jefferson. My only gold ring was a solid 14.

The sounds may drive you nuts at first but you will learn a lot from all the noise you will just have to train your ears.

Remember go slow!!!! Then dig all good solid toned and numbers. Hope this helps.

I have had mine for two years and I'm pulling coins out of a hunted out park, or so they said it was.

If you need any info I will be glad to help.... the Safari is terrific machine but overlooked by many.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Safari. I just wish it was waterproof. It is a little more sensitive to EMI so you can't work as close to electric lines as you can with say a Garret AT or a single frequency machine. For doing wide open sparse fields I love the WOT coil but its hard to change coils. With the WOT I find musket balls and large cents at 20+" so it can be a lot of digging. I just put the 11" stock back on for the city. She sings a lot and it can get on your nerves lol. Bench test pull tabs vs gold rings while changing between all metal and coin / jewelry and you will notice some clues and a pattern. Pull tabs may ring up 14-20 but have a higher pitch and the pitch changes when you switch modes. A ring will ring the same for me usually and be a lower tone that doesn't change between modes. For me all rings have come in 14-15 but I have found gold that rang up as -3. The deeper the signal the less you can trust the vdi . Any questions we are all ears. Timelord is correct dig the solid repeatable numbers. The more it wiffle waffles the more its can slaw or other undesirable target. A slight wandering from 14-15-14 say would be a solid hit vs the numbers jumping all around as you pass over a target. Good luck n happy hunting.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally bought a detector " Minelab Safari"

I really like my WOT also, it now my main hunting coil. You cover a lot of ground and if your careful to what your hearing the masking from bad targets is not that bad...

Last edited:

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gratz and HH !

OP
OP
B

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.
Lots to absorb and understand.
Got the rest of my test garden planted today I have 16 objects at different depths, coins, silver and clad some flat some on edge, and several pieces trash believe it or not I need to find some pop tops and pull tabs .
That won't be hard to find;-)
Be back in about a week or so, off on an astronomy adventure Wednesday and will be mostly out of touch, will be taking the detector along in case an opertunity arises .

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I also have the pro pack I got from KELLYCO. You can ask me anything you want to about the safari pro pack, that's what I did, bury things you will find detecting and see what they sound like. My very best thing to do is to WRITE Down everything you find at what number AND very important what DEPTH you find the item and what it is. A PENNY on the top of the ground is the same as a Dime or Quarter, mine comes in at 38. I mostly hunt in sand which is this whole town I am in. If you have a solid 14 at any depth and doesn't move- it is always a NICKEL. If it changes its a pull tab. Like 99 pull tabs and one nickel is about it. ASK ME anything about your new SAFARI, and I will tell what I can from my time with my SAFARI. Try to get the book by Andy sabiech on the safari it will be of great help to you and your new Safari. Wine bottle caps will drive you nuts, down 2 inches or more. See if you can go to any BOYSCOUT or GIRLSCOUT camps in your area. I did a few days ago and found a 1940 penny,a 1942 penny and a 1957 dime less than two inches down. VERY GOOD LUCK

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how is that new Safari doing?