Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy! :)
Glad to see it arrived. There is no indicator for the battery, just plug it in and let it charge overnight.

And we we can help you with a new battery when you are ready... But before you spend the money on another give this one a try. I think you will see that it will last longer than you want to hunt in a day. 8-) You may find with some time you don't really need a second battery and be able to put that money toward something else.

OP
OP
B

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds reasonable , will give it a try with one.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the Safari manual on charging the battery. The E-TRAC manual recommends an 18 hour initial charge before using the battery pack. It also recommends 18 hours for all recharging cycles.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should of come with a alkaline battery holder, just take that with you. I have only used it once when I didn't charge my pack up, that was before I lost it....

OP
OP
B

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the manual and it does say 18 hrs. Just wondered if the charger LED turned green on full charge.
I do have the extra battery pack to load up for and extra and will just go with the one rechargeable for now.
Most likely will be enough for these old bones;-)
Bigdob

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
On the factory Minelab charger, the light on the charger just shows that 110V is getting to it. It does not change color. The charger is low in output and the pack has a current limiter to avoid over charging. So yes, it is best to plan and charge them overnight before a hunt.

Jeff

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rnb battery 2 hours to charge, charger light goes from red to green when done, 40 hours of hunting on a charge.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Rob said...RNB. Check eBay. That's where I got mine. WELL worth the extra cost, IMO.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got mine too cold for detecting much longer than an hour. I will keep the alkaline holder full and ready should I need it so I can't see getting another chargeable now tho by the time 2017
Season gets really going I will pick up
The RNB

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Bigdob,

A nice solution is the RnB Innovations, ML-3100 Li-ion battery. I have purchased many of their battery pack (Whites, Minelab and AT Pro) products. They easily last 30+ hours on both of the "power hogs"; Minelab Explorer series and Whites V3i. They work equally well on the Etrac and Safari detectors.

GL & HH

Doc

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Another option is Duracell rechargeables, the green colored ones. They come with a charger as well. I got 8 of them for Christmas last year and they work well. They last all day and take about 2 hours to charge. The rnb can't be beat in terms of performance but this is a cheaper alternative.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used anything beyond Eneloops after an initial run of alkalines to set a baseline. Got a MAHA smart charger and use Eneloops for all my AA needs. Versatility. (the Eneloops give way more hours than I can swing a Safari)

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a Maha AA/AAA charger with Imedion batteries. The Imedions are similar to Eneloops as they come with a charge and retain the charge long term. Regular high power NiMH batteries can also be used, but when not in use i recommend putting a charge to them every month or two as they lose their charge while sitting much faster. These batteries are available in higher current ratings than for those from Minelab and will last much longer and with a quality fast charger you can be up and running in just a few hours. I don't recommend you operating the detector with rechargeable NiCD or NiMH batteries where the batteries are allowed to run down too low, like 1v per cell. This is apt to occur very quickly as the batteries are used near depleted or the single bar on a Safari battery indicator. I haven't any experience with the lithium ion types, but I do know they store a great deal of power for their size.

Edit to add; I paid about $24 for an 8 pack of 2400ma Imedion batteries and the charger I bought was $60 for the Maha C800S8AA27 with 8 2700ma Powerx AA batteries from B & H Photo. The charger can be bought alone at $39 so this is way cheaper than going with Minelab. Mods-If this isn't allowed, please edit.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread