Bought another Sov

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a deal recently for a working ML Sov XS-2a Pro, S shaft, working Detech Excellerator-S 5" coil, 8" BBS coil (broken wires at the connector) & 10" BBS coil (probably a broken wire). All for $200 shipped.

I'm curious if I did ok.

Also, what are the chances of getting the coils back to working order?
I'm thinking about sending them to Minelab or KellyCo Repair.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a Deal on the working control box and , S shaft alone .

But Don't waste your time on the Coils.
Minelab Will Not (Cannot) Repair coils. so I'm sure it is the Same with Kellyco.

I have tried Repairing Wires on Coils, But the actual Wires are So Thin & Thread like ,
They did not hold up.
eventually I got another Coil & Threw the over-repaired one in The trash Burner.
Of course I am no technician

Last edited:
OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all,

Good call Jeff. ML CS transferred me to Marty at KellyCo ML repairs. He said, unless you know where the break in the cable is... toss it. So that kills the BBS 1000. :(
The BBS 800 break is at the connector,and should be fixable. I have a few friends that know their way around fine wires.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to only have one detector it would be my Sov GT.:occasion14:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to only have one detector it would be my Sov GT.:occasion14:

I'd prefer the XS-2 Pro :thumbsup:
But that's simply because it's the only version of the Sovereign I've had experience with . :tongue3:

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can see different between the XS and the XS2 Pro is the battery connector. XS uses a plug in style, the XS2 Pro (all pros) use a slide in style battery. I had my XS2 Pro modified by KellyCo so it takes either style of battery. The XS2a Pro his the single tone/variable tone switch. Kinda useless.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can see different between the XS and the XS2 Pro is the battery connector. XS uses a plug in style, the XS2 Pro (all pros) use a slide in style battery. I had my XS2 Pro modified by KellyCo so it takes either style of battery. The XS2a Pro his the single tone/variable tone switch. Kinda useless.

The Pro also Originally came with a 550 Meter.
I'm not sure the XS did.

Downside to the Pro. Regular AA's would not fit in the Battery Compartment on mine.
The Compartment was about a Quarter Inch too short for the AA Packs with the
PCB Board on the end. the door would keep popping open.
Duct Tape was Necessary. [ I suppose I could have Altered the Springs
inside the Compartment to not be so long and strong. but I didn't want to mess around in there
and possibly break one loose ].

and the rechargeables were quick to get a memory for me. (Possibly partly my fault :dontknow: )
they would only give me 90 Minutes after awhile.

But when it came to Finding Gold Jewelry :notworthy: BBS Is all That ! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pro also Originally came with a 550 Meter.
I'm not sure the XS did.

Downside to the Pro. Regular AA's would not fit in the Battery Compartment on mine.
The Compartment was about a Quarter Inch too short for the AA Packs with the
PCB Board on the end. the door would keep popping open.
Duct Tape was Necessary. I suppose I could have Altered the Springs inside the Compartment to not be so long and strong. but I didn't want to mess around in there and possibly break one loose and the rechargeables were quick to get a memory for me. (Possibly partly my fault :dontknow: ) they would only give me 90 Minutes after awhile.
But when it came to Finding Gold Jewelry :notworthy: BBS Is all That ! :icon_thumright:

I noticed that with the XS2a. The whole back end of the control box was covered in duct tape gunk. After cleaning, I added some padding (about an 1/8" thick) to the inside lip, near the latch, to add upward pressure. Sure enough, no more duct tape needed. Very secure. You're right... The other option is to cut the contact springs to reduce the pressure. Not the best choice. I did notice that when KellyCo modified my XS2, they replaced the spring contact board (the old springs were cut by someone previously). The new springs feel much lighter.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread