Xterra 705 vs 70

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Really been looking at the 705 as my next new machine.
But I have seen some 70's for sale here and there with the owner saying it's the same as the 705.
That can't be, but I am assuming that the 70 is an earlier version that transposed to the 705?
Does the 70 have the same discrimination abilities as the 705?

Any input on the differences would be appreciated.
If I can get a 70 on the cheap, I may do so (still getting my 705 down the road).

thanks!!

G

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go I read this on the internet (posted in 2009).

The 705 came out earlier this year, along with the 305 and 505. (replacing the X-30 and X-50). As a whole, the X-70 and 705 are nearly identical, with only a half dozen or so exceptions. The software was updated on the new series. To me, that makes the 705 a bit quicker to respond to targets. And I think it gets me a bit more depth. The 705 also added a fourth Pattern mode. Not that having three isn't enough, since they are so easy to modify. But having a fourth allows those who hunt in discrimination mode to have four of them set up ahead of time. The 705 added a backlight to the display for those who don't always stop detecting when the sun goes down. The 705 added ground balance offset option on the tracking mode. This allows those who like to tweak their X-Terras a little bit more positive or negative (ground phase) to do so while maintaining that offset in the tracking mode. The 705 added a second Pinpoint option called Pinpoint Sizing. This allows the user to Pinpoint a target and approximate the size and shape at the same time. You can do this with the Prospecting mode in either the X-70 or 705. But using Pinpoint Sizing gives you the added benefit of continuous TID. So I guess the answer to your question would depend on whether or not you would use any of this "new" functionality. And whether or not you consider the new functionality to be worth the difference in price. JMHO

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Loco! :thumbsup:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go I read this on the internet (posted in 2009).

The 705 came out earlier this year, along with the 305 and 505. (replacing the X-30 and X-50). As a whole, the X-70 and 705 are nearly identical, with only a half dozen or so exceptions. The software was updated on the new series. To me, that makes the 705 a bit quicker to respond to targets. And I think it gets me a bit more depth. The 705 also added a fourth Pattern mode. Not that having three isn't enough, since they are so easy to modify. But having a fourth allows those who hunt in discrimination mode to have four of them set up ahead of time. The 705 added a backlight to the display for those who don't always stop detecting when the sun goes down. The 705 added ground balance offset option on the tracking mode. This allows those who like to tweak their X-Terras a little bit more positive or negative (ground phase) to do so while maintaining that offset in the tracking mode. The 705 added a second Pinpoint option called Pinpoint Sizing. This allows the user to Pinpoint a target and approximate the size and shape at the same time. You can do this with the Prospecting mode in either the X-70 or 705. But using Pinpoint Sizing gives you the added benefit of continuous TID. So I guess the answer to your question would depend on whether or not you would use any of this "new" functionality. And whether or not you consider the new functionality to be worth the difference in price. JMHO

Nice post and accurate.

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+1
Except it didn't come out earlier this year. They have been around for several years, and in fact the 305 is being discontinued.

If you read my post you should have seen that the post was from 2009.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The warranty is nice to have too that you get with a new 705. The backlight feature has really been a help for me, not that I hunt at night, but in low light times....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread