Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found CTX 3030 - Does anyone have a solution to the headphone problem? (May 19, 2014)

OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, now I understand, not that big of a deal as long as I use the module or the Gray Ghost / Koss

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a CTX now and it seems that my `Killers B's and Rattlers don't work very well, seems that work on and off and the CTX speaker wont cut off too,
Thought I saw a post on this,but don't see it now, any Ideas"

Oh, I just tried the Koss that came with it and they work fine,

Thanks"

These Sun Rays specifically designed for the CTX cut the speaker off. Any questions feel free to call or email me.

Sun Ray Pro Gold Minelab CTX 3030 Headphones | BigBoysHobbies

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These Sun Rays specifically designed for the CTX cut the speaker off. Any questions feel free to call or email me.

I can attest that these are superior headphones compared to the Koss that come with the CTX. I bought mine from Bart almost 2 years ago now and wouldn't detect without them. The ability to switch off the threshold (especially during long hunts) while recovering targets will save you $$ in unused Advil for headaches alone.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can attest that these are superior headphones compared to the Koss that come with the CTX. I bought mine from Bart almost 2 years ago now and wouldn't detect without them. The ability to switch off the threshold (especially during long hunts) while recovering targets will save you $$ in unused Advil for headaches alone.

Yet ANOTHER hunter from WI! You're right about the phones...
We have an ABUNDANCE of guys here in the state,and I know of several more who aren't even on this particular forum. It's amazing how many people detect in this state. The other amazing thing is....I hardly EVER see ANY of them.
Very cool though,hope you're having good luck up there DD!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, if you are going to buy a new pair, its much nicer to have ones made to work with the CTX. Personally, I love, love, LOVE the WM-10 wireless module. Ever since I got my CTX I have hated feeling tethered to the machine by being plugged into it. I know you hunt beaches, so you have a little different needs than I do, so your milage may vary.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One misconception about the 3030 is that only certain headphones shut down the speaker.

This is true, but only if your headphones are plugged directly into the detector.

You can use just about any brand, make and model of detecting headphones with a 1/4" connector to turn off the speaker if plugged directly into the wireless module. So any Killer Bs, Sunrays, Grey Ghost or other branded headphones you may already have will turn off the speaker if plugged into the wireless module.

Hope that helps if anyone new comes along and is confused...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One misconception about the 3030 is that only certain headphones shut down the speaker.

This is true, but only if your headphones are plugged directly into the detector.

You can use just about any brand, make and model of detecting headphones with a 1/4" connector to turn off the speaker if plugged directly into the wireless module. So any Killer Bs, Sunrays, Grey Ghost or other branded headphones you may already have will turn off the speaker if plugged into the wireless module.

Hope that helps if anyone new comes along and is confused...

This is not true.
1- the ONLY headphones which can attach DIRECTLY to the detector are the waterproof models which screw into the multi-pin connector.
2- the only way to plug a 1/4 headphone into the detector is when using the headphone adapter. Only certain models will cause the internal speaker to shut down when using this.
3- connecting the WM-10 wireless module shuts down the internal speaker regardless of whether a headphone is connected to it or not. If nothing is plugged into the wm-10, then the audio comes from the WM-10 speaker. All 1/4 jack headphones silence the wm-10 speaker.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, with all due respect to a fellow TNet member like you... aside from the added point about the WM-10 shutting down the machine's internal speaker any time it is linked to the detector (which is correct :) ) I think we pretty much said the same thing. Not sure why you said my post wasn't true. :dontknow:

I guess between the two posts it will be easily understood. :)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, with all due respect to a fellow TNet member like you... aside from the added point about the WM-10 shutting down the machine's internal speaker any time it is linked to the detector (which is correct :) ) I think we pretty much said the same thing. Not sure why you said my post wasn't true. :dontknow:

I guess between the two posts it will be easily understood. :)

No, you specifically said "plugged directly into the detector" which is not possible and likely to be confusing to someone.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't take the wireless adaptor off the end of the CTX, you can plug a 1/4" jack into the end of it. If you take the adaptor off, then the waterproof headphones will only work because it is a screw type connector inside. The 1/4" jack must be wired correctly to turn off the external speaker. SunRay made a special set for the CTX that converts the signal from stereo to mono by pushing a button and has a 1/4" jack, which in turn turns off the external speaker.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread