Advice needed on 17" Minelab coil for CTX

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if when you set the unit down, leave the coil in the detecting position and don't fold it horizontal with the shaft and put stress on the cable.
Sounds like that would be less stressful on the connection in the long run?
BT

Thats in the region of "just can't make it work". The coil is so long, it puts that connector up so high when you put it down that it's always going to drop flat. I guess you could try always laying it on it's side. If its in your car like that, you are going to need a lot of room. Best option would be to put a heavy wrap of gorilla tape or other similar tape around that connector base to strengthen it as well as around the bottom of the cable where it's going to be sliding in and out of the shaft.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I own and use this coil, I strongly suggest you ask Santa for a detecting harness if you plan to do many 4-5 hr hunts in the future. If will help with fatigue tremendously! Congrats on the new coil [emoji2]

Yep the harness is needed for 4hr+ hunts IMO, specially if you detect the beach because water gets into the coil cover and it will make it heavy, while it has some sand in top of it it also gets heavier.

I just received both the 6 & the 17 today, just in time for the great Connecticut ground freeze. I'd like to know more about the wiggle method for pinpointing with the 17. With the 11 I find the max pitch with the red ball glowing, make a mental line following the center line, front to back and then track it at 90 degrees on that line. When the max pitch & red ball is showing, the coin is always at the center of the X.

Not quite picturing how you're pinpointing with wiggling with the 17". Any assistance will be very appreciated. A link to any videos going over it would be fantastic.

Also, with a Harness as mentioned above, has anyone tried the Detecting Buddy and the Minelab harness? The Detecting Buddy is much less expensive but the Minelab looks more comfortable. Any opinions?

Thanks!

IVe tried the harness and the buddy thing, go straight for the minelab Pro-Swing, there is simply no point in comparisson in comfort and aid, the buddy thing just feels awkward, I have the feeling my neck is being pushed front and down and it doesnt seem to help me much either in the swings, I used it 5 minutes and I ditched it away forever, with the pro-swing I can go hours and hours with it.

The wiggle method is a bit trickier with the 17" than with the 11", with the 11" once you wiggle back and hear the target solid beeping is a hair back the U shape of the tip of the coil but target is easily obtainable anyway because the coil is small and the target is within the wanted or supposed area, with the 17" being a much more bigger coil, you start hearing a target with the tip of the coil if you wiggle back, but then the tricky part is where you must place your scoop (if beach hunting like me) or making an imaginary area where the target is if you land hunt, so if you dont want to make a HUGE hole in the ground and keep missing the target, keep going backwards untill you hear the double solid beep, its easier to locate the target (at least for me) when I do this, for example in the next image:

You start to hear the target when its in the reach of the ORANGE part of the coil, but no double beep.
In the RED area of the coil is where it starts to double beep and you know exactly where it is now.

I have a 3030 and have been following this post .
I plan on getting a 17" coil before spring, has anyone here heard of or had a problem with the wire insulation cracking around the coil where it goes into the shaft?
I have filed the sharp edges off the shaft and taped the wire on my machine, just courious if anyone has heard of this problem with the 17" coil?
Thanks
BT

There is a "problem" with the coil cable, the part of the cable that goes through the shaft can and will get cut by the shaft itself because its a hard and somewhat sharp plastic, I´m talking about the insulation of the cable, not that it will cut the cable and snap it off. with all the movements of the coil the cable rubs with the sharp plastic so what I did is just covered the cable with electric tape and problem solved, after few hunts I can see the tape is being cut too, so I just re-tape it. OR you can just sand off the sharpness of the plastic, whatever suits you better :)

Ill try to post pictures later.

Last edited:

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already done that little fix , filed off the sharp edge and taped the coil wire on my 11" coil and will get the cable on the new coils tapes up as well.
Don't want to be replacing coils anytime soon ;-)
BT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread