• Poll closed .

FL Treasure Hunter

Dec 31, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, AT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at getting an Excalibur II soon and I am leaning towards the 10" coil since I do water, wet sand, dry sand and everything but hear many owners swear by the 8" so I wanted to do a quick poll to see which size coil the Excalibur II owners chose and favored.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab discontinued the 8" Excalibur II due to lack of demand, all new Excalibur IIs coming from the distributor now have the 11" coil.

Some liked the 8" to pinpoint easier, but most like the larger coil for increased depth and more sand coverage.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
FL Treasure Hunter

FL Treasure Hunter

Dec 31, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab discontinued the 8" Excalibur II due to lack of demand, all new Excalibur IIs coming from the distributor now have the 11" coil.

Some liked the 8" to pinpoint easier, but most like the larger coil for increased depth and more sand coverage.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thanks for the input. I have heard that mainly the only advantage to the 8 was pinpointed as you stated and ease of use in the water which if I am used to swinging the AT Pro in water then the 10" excal should not be much worse and the depth and coverage are big selling points to me as well with the 10" coil.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only advantage to the small coils that I've found, is the lower swinging resistance in the water. Otherwise, I like the largest coil I can swing. As Wayne mentioned, you get greater depth and coverage using the large coils. Pin pointing at the beach is usually not an issue if you have a good scoop. Also, the large coils I have on my Excaliburs (WOT and Attack) still have great sensitivity to small targets also. The only other area where a small coil has a slight advantage is searching cracks in an area with large rocks. In those areas, I find a waterproof pin pointer and crevice tool is what you need, so, coil size is not too important.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm like Cudamark, I like larger coils, much more depth and coverage. I have 3 excals, one has the WOT 15" coil, next has the Detech 12 X 15" SEF coil and last has the Nel 12X13" tornado coil.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
FL Treasure Hunter

FL Treasure Hunter

Dec 31, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only advantage to the small coils that I've found, is the lower swinging resistance in the water. Otherwise, I like the largest coil I can swing. As Wayne mentioned, you get greater depth and coverage using the large coils. Pin pointing at the beach is usually not an issue if you have a good scoop. Also, the large coils I have on my Excaliburs (WOT and Attack) still have great sensitivity to small targets also. The only other area where a small coil has a slight advantage is searching cracks in an area with large rocks. In those areas, I find a waterproof pin pointer and crevice tool is what you need, so, coil size is not too important.

I'm like Cudamark, I like larger coils, much more depth and coverage. I have 3 excals, one has the WOT 15" coil, next has the Detech 12 X 15" SEF coil and last has the Nel 12X13" tornado coil.......

That what I was thinking as well after more reading. I think I will go with the 10" for sure, now it's just a matter of saving a little more for a new one or seeing one come up on ebay used a little cheaper then what they have now; but I really think new is the way to go.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to keep it stock until the warranty period is over, I agree. If you plan on modifying it with a large coil and/or pin point switch and other headphones, used is the way to go. Otherwise, you'll void the warranty and you'll have so much money into it, you may as well have gotten a CTX with a 17" coil!

OP
OP
FL Treasure Hunter

FL Treasure Hunter

Dec 31, 2015
St. Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to keep it stock until the warranty period is over, I agree. If you plan on modifying it with a large coil and/or pin point switch and other headphones, used is the way to go. Otherwise, you'll void the warranty and you'll have so much money into it, you may as well have gotten a CTX with a 17" coil!

Those are good points. The only mods I would plan for it is a straight shaft and knobs if the originals break so that is why i am leaning towards new since nothing I have in mind should void a warranty.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Kellyco does the mods the warranty is still valid...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions