Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a spare machine with me. Funny thing, in what, 50 something years of playing in the dirt, I cannot remember a single time the primary machine quit and I had to use the backup. With some of the older, no vdi machines I have to admit I would take a break, turn the machine off to conserve the battery, then go for 50' with the blasted thing still off. But I really wouldn't admit to that. On the other hand I don't know what I had for breakfast yesterday. (Actually, I do.)

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a spare machine with me. Funny thing, in what, 50 something years of playing in the dirt, I cannot remember a single time the primary machine quit and I had to use the backup. With some of the older, no vdi machines I have to admit I would take a break, turn the machine off to conserve the battery, then go for 50' with the blasted thing still off. But I really wouldn't admit to that. On the other hand I don't know what I had for breakfast yesterday. (Actually, I do.)

Better safe then sorry. Backups are just that backups. Being a former LEO it was always good to know that I had a backup but I always loved my main piece better and happy that I never had to reach for my ankle.

Knowing that you dont have to go home and get your ‘other’ detector always will save you time And generate more swing time.

Cheers

D69203B4-3BF8-4A3D-93C8-A71CA6E4D328.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never go detecting with less than 3 detectors. I always use at least 2 switching detectors about half way through the hunt, that way I know that are working properly Following hunt I will start with #3 then switch out again..

I have made road trips for 3 day weekends and vacations and had one develop an issue, I grab a backup and worry about the detector issue when I'm back home.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1554184 View attachment 1554185

I use the hip mount but place it on my back at the belt line. I use a Velcro strap from Michaels to take any stress off the cable. No problems for years.

I do the same, except that I zip tie my cables to the pod. There really is no flex at the stress reliefs....certainly no more than would be with a shaft mount.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shorts are not at the strain reliefs, the ones I have seen are up the cable towards the earmuffs before it gets to the strain relief.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would that be worse with a hip mount? The pod isn't moving when you mount it on your waist/hip/chest, whereas the cable would flex much more with the pod mounted on the shaft and you swinging it around. Your head movements would be the same with either setup, so, that shouldn't make any difference there. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread