New puchase of a etrac. Many questions.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading a review of battery's I thought it would be good to start my own thread as I have questions that do not fit into the op's post.

First thank you Bart from Big Boys Hobbies for the Etrac. The etrac came with a a minelab 1600mAh battery. My first question is the charger does not turn green even after 18 hours of charging? Is that normal?

Second question is safety. With all the batterys catching fires has anyone ever had a issue with one catching fire? Is there something I should look for as I am charging this battery by my head in my bedroom. My detectors are in the corner of my bedroom next to my head. In case of zombie invasion my detectors are safe.

Third question. The 3100mAH, ML-3100 and HP-3100 batterys really needed if you only hunt a few hours a day anyways?

Last question, is higher mAh batterys hard on a car charger?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the Minelab factory charger has a light that turns to green when battery is charged. It is not a "smart"charger. I have never heard of metal detector batteries catching fire, it seems like this occurs in smaller electronic devises. No, the RNB 3100 battery is not necessary, it is just convenient. No, a small (like a detector's) higher mAh battery does not affect a car's charging system. My RNB battery does not have a car charger and I don't think RNB supplies one. The RNB battery wall charger has an LED that will turn green when battery is charged.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the original battery and have never had any issues and or explosions.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've left my Minelab batteries plugged in for days at a time, never burned my house down yet :) If you have the rechargeable battery and the AA battery pack, your good to go. While the RNB battery system is nice, and I do have one, it's not a must have. I've never had to use a car charger to charge my battery, just popped in the AA pack until I got home and used the wall charger. As far as the red light goes, the Minelab charger stays red even after charged.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Question 1 was answered already sufficiently and I've nothing to add.

As to question 2 you are thinking of lithium type batteries. I don't think you'll have much to worry about with NiMH batteries.

Question 3, most likely not and as was said you can use the alkaline aa pack as a spare. Now what I did was to put high capacity 2700 Ma NiMH AA batteries in my alkaline pack and charged them up with a Maha smart charger. No problems what so ever and hasn't run out on me in the field even though I carry spare AA batteries just in case.

Question 4, being a stronger battery would result in just taking longer to recharge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are great. I didnt get my honey doo list done today so no hunting for me. Has anyone ever put a Tablet screen protector over the control box face? While I hunt hard, I dont not want to mark this one up any more than I have too.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Zagg screen protector on the face plate and a rain/dust cover over the housing. Also, go get some vet wrap at Tractor Supply(non adhesive) and wrap the upper shaft and the battery housing and armrest, you'll be glad you did!! I got 4 rolls for 5-6 bucks. It'll keep the detector free of scuffs and scratches.
You guys are great. I didnt get my honey doo list done today so no hunting for me. Has anyone ever put a Tablet screen protector over the control box face? While I hunt hard, I dont not want to mark this one up any more than I have too.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Zagg screen protector on the face plate and a rain/dust cover over the housing. Also, go get some vet wrap at Tractor Supply(non adhesive) and wrap the upper shaft and the battery housing and armrest, you'll be glad you did!! I got 4 rolls for 5-6 bucks. It'll keep the detector free of scuffs and scratches.

Thats a big 1-4. On it.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Casca,

I use the RnB battery system for my Minelabs, Whites and Garrett machines, a very good product; bit pricey, but great performance.

Regards,

Doc

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I found notable about the RnB pack was that I didn't even put it in my Etrac for a year after buying it. I didn't charge it up, I just slid it in, turned it on and that baby was at full charge. I thought it was pretty neat it didn't drain down any while in storage.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im about performance and would not be happy if a hunt failed over a battery. Im on the fence, but yes am considering a RNB Battery. Not sure I would use it as a nugget hunter. My F75 is easy on the arm and battterys. I ordered some tape to wrap the shaft and picked up a screen protector. Now just waiting for rain to stop.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was out hunting day before yesterday, and my stock CTX battery died. I wasn't worried, because I had the AA pack with me. So, I put it in and turned it on, and it didn't turn on. There I was 45 minutes away from home, and my hunt ended right there.

Maybe someday RnB will make a battery pack for the CTX, to fit in the AA pack.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
DS,
You could put something like the Eneloop or Imedion type NiMH batteries into the AA pack. These hold a charge longer than standard NiMH batteries and the giveaway to knowing if it is a long lasting type is if it has a charge on it already right out of the packaging and is ready to use. I do have the Imedion AA batteries as my AA backup batteries and are 2400 ma and so plenty of power. i bought mine in 2 packs of 4 at $12.95 ea for about $26 total plus s/h.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I don't have the rnb battery, and haven't needed it. The stock rechargeable battery pack will need to be charged every time you use it, and you can go 4 to 5 trips at 3 to 4 hours each time on alkalines. I have since gotten some Duracell rechargeables and they will charge in about 2 hours and last an entire day plus some. I don't let them get completely dead, but I figure you could get 2 hunts out of them before recharging.

I charge the stock battery pack and charge the duracells, and take both with me in case I need them. So for now I don't personally need the rnb innovations aftermarket battery pack, but if you have the budget i say go for it. I have heard they last forever on a single charge.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
And for the literalist out there, I don't meant literally forever lol, I mean a long time...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread