Ultimate 13" or WOT 15" on an Explorer SE?

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the market for a new to me large coil, and have narrowed it down to either of the above coils. I read Bryce's field tests of both, and he gives both very good reviews, so that makes it even more difficult. The advantage to the WOT is more ground coverage, and for the Ultimate, it seems weight is the advantage. Depth seems to about the same on the two, but depth is very important, as the soft Florida sand-soil eats up stuff and sends it to middle earth quickly.

My areas of hunting are parks, which tend to be a bit on the trashy side, and beaches, where I would like to cover as much ground as possible in a hunt. My average hunt is about 4 hours, so the weight is a factor.

For those of you who have or have had and used both, which do you prefer, and why?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let the weight be the deciding factor. You can get an easy to use sling for about $25. I haven't used the 13" Ultimate yet, but, the WOT is a great beach coil. Covers lots of ground and is still sensitive to small targets. I also have the 15" NEL Attack coil too and like it even better than the WOT. It's cheaper too! I wouldn't use either in one of our parks though......just too much overlapping junk.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had both and did better with the 13" Ultimate.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Not the same coil type as you're speaking of, and different in that I'm using the CTX. I got the 17" coil more for coverage than depth. With the stock 11" coil I can swing 4 t0 5 hours. The best I've done so far with the heavier 17" is 3 hours, even using the Detecting Buddy. And I am so worn out. But figure into that my age, and I'm not the healthiest member here.

But to me there is that much difference in the weight factor. That 17" coil I have to think about when planning an outing. That civil war site I hit? I went with the 11" coil - but it was a brushy area. Weight does matter.

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for the replies.

Based on weight, and the fact that the differences in depth is minimal, I'm going to go with the Ultimate 13". Weighs only 16.9 oz, compared to 26.9 oz (WOT), and 23.3 oz (NEL). I think those additional 6-10 oz would make a big difference on the Explorer, since the machine is no lightweight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread