Review of the Andy Sabisch Boot Camp for FBS machines

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I promised a review of Andy's Boot Camp, so here it is:

For a statement, there is NO WAY I would give up his settings he very generously shared in the class.

But I'll tell you one thing.

Andy warned us not to do a ground balance using the buttons. Instead use the Noise Cancel button at the top.

In my fumbling sort of way I hit the Ground balance button and my CTX went haywire. Andy had to come in and reset it for me, me being a dummy. He reset my machine using the Noise Cancel button, set the coil on a signal free area and hit the Noise Cancel button, and it straightened my machine out.

When we were introducing ourselves, I stated I'd been using the CTX for two years just using the boot up screen. Andy said "That cost you about 3" in depth".

Andy spent about 4 hours reviewing the settings and how they related to each other. If the settings are not in sync, that costs you depth and problems.

Andy then proceeded to tweak every machine in the class, and input his own settings. Then we went for a field hunt. Me, I'm so particular and askew, during the hunt I went my own way and that resulted in 37 cents in clad, while those members who stayed close to his base of operations kicked the living crap out of me. I found 4 coins, while the best hunter found over 30 coins, some planted, and two silver dimes.

So, just why the heck did I get away from the others doing my own thing? Must be some kinda habit I have that I need to change. So, among the other things I learned, I need to be more particular about where I go hunt. My excuse was that I wasn't born lucky, I just worked hard. That excuse doesn't work for me anymore - time to change my attitude!

I found a bunch of aluminum bottle caps, 2 at 14" deep (My CTX had never displayed a depth above 12"), and can slaw. They all ID'd 12-30.

Andy & Charlene brought a bunch of extras for sale, I know I saw a 17" coil. I picked up a few items like new o-rings, and a couple other things like treasure mags, and my 2nd copy of his book "The CTX Handbook". I was all organized for my trip, and walked away leaving my handbook on my desk.

The class was not based on the handbook, completely independent. It was more about how programs interacted and identifying which settings were the most important. I took notes, but I'm going to have to get some time getting used to my "now" new machine. It is different from before, so I'll get there listening, studying my notes from the class, and re-reading the handbook - of which I now have two copies.

My plan is a new "Contest" giving away that second copy. Gotta figure out how I'm going to do that, I'll get up with TH and how they do their monthly Kellyco contests. Keep it simple dummy Deep!

There were 12 students attending, I was the longest distance, and multiple times I mentioned TNet and received no responses = I may have been the only member there.

At the end of the day, Andy rewarded prizes for the best of whatever category. I wasn't born lucky......

With all the time and set-up involved, and the really generous prizes awarded, I honestly can't see where Andy actually profited on the seminar, even with 12 attending payees. I was really impressed = GOOD people - Andy & Charlene.

Would I do it again if I had to do it over? ABSOLUTELY!!!

For me it was an awakening, I need to go back to the book now, and I need more field time with the new settings.

I really, really enjoyed the class. Now my thick skull needs to review, read, and practice.

Good luck out there!

And thanks, Andy and Charlene.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you enjoyed it! :skullflag:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the honest review DSA. Sounds like you took a lot away from the camp. Look forward to seeing your progress.

HH, RN

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Thanks for the review, Deepseeker.

I ran my CTX for 1 year in Auto sensitivity before I realized that I was NOT in +3 mode.

For the last 2 months, I have been getting used to my machine all over again.

Where does he post his schedule for classes?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
So, just why the heck did I get away from the others doing my own thing? Must be some kinda habit I have that I need to change.

That is a great move if I say, I have found water hunting never stay in the bounties of where the place once was, very surprising how many times treasures will show up in spots that no one would have thought.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really pleased that you had a good, and informative time there.

As we discussed earlier, I would have gone if I had more time and my passport up to date.

I'm quite curious to see how you get on with your new settings.

I hope you start tracking your finds as before Andy and after Andy, it could be an eye opener for some.

It's too bad that Andy doesn't make a few stops north of the border, but I get that's not the most profitable forum for him.

Location is definitely the key to finding the good stuff, but I'm sure having the best settings for your environment play just as big of a part.

I've never used the ground balance button only the noise cancel button, so at least I've done that right.

Thanks for taking the time to do a write up, I for one appreciate it.

Think I will look up his schedule again, and see if I can make something work.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Think I will look up his schedule again, and see if I can make something work.

The only upcoming event posted on his website is June 4th, next month in Portage, Indiana

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess it will have to wait until next year?

I've done pretty good with it so far I think.

10 silver coins with the oldest Canadian being a 1910 dime, the oldest American is tied with a 1944 Merc and a 1944 Quarter, however my best American is a 1967 Kennedy Half......oh and one 6 gram silver ring.

I can only imagine how much better it could be if I were able to make it to Andy's training.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I wanted to get out this morning to hit the local Farmer's Market and then go doing some digging. But we had torrential rains and my only exit bridge was flooded over. Then I found I'd lost my wallet, searched for it all morning long - and then found it when I'd given up looking for it.

I've not used it in the wild yet with my new settings, though I did go for a water hunt with the Excal day before yesterday - cold water and nothing but balled up foil. We'd hit that spot pretty heavy last season.

With 10 silver coins you're doing very well this season so far. It's out there! Since I returned to the hobby after a 25 year absence, I've found more silver jewelry than silver coins. Silver coins are a delight, but silver jewelry is just so much more awesome. Back in the early 80's, one trip netted me 22 straight silver dimes. I'll never top that, my last gold ring was in '88..... Looking for gold!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are getting hammered with the rain here as well, and I'm a little worried as we have a pond in our backyard that if it gets too high will flood the basement.

I'm in the city right now (2 1/2 hours away), so I think that I will have to pack up soon and head home........to build an ark apparently? LOL........

It's interesting to know that you have an Excalibur.

I was going to get my PADI this year, and that's the machine I was looking at before the CTX 3030.

I decided that I should at least have one year of diving under my belt (no pun intended) before mixing it with metal detecting. Perhaps next year I will join the Excal club too?

10 coins is certainly a great start to a season and a new machine, so no complaints there.

I'm always thrilled when I find silver and gold, but I really like the old coins.

Sounds like the farmers market could have some potential, so good luck with that.

I have a really good potential site right in the city that I don't think many people have ever thought of doing, so I'm hoping to go there in the next week or two to give it a try.

I will let you know how that goes once I get to it.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's interesting to know that you have an Excalibur.

Versus the FBS2 technology of 28 frequencies, the Excal is BBS technology with 17 frequencies, tells you one heck of a lot of info about a target. It's strictly a sound machine, and that is where I want to be, no TID's to confuse me, just the pure sound of the signal coming out of my headphones. The Excal has been around danged near 20 years now = a very proven machine.

And of course now there is the CTX :) More to learn still!

But, I'm looking to the future as well. The CTX TID's tend to be very accurate, very! They vary a little here and there, but over time they tend to be the real deal

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you dive with your Excal, or just beach hunt?

I've seen a few videos with the guys using the Excal (and like all YouTube videos), they only show their great finds.

I'm curious how well it sorts the good from the bad. Although as I said, I think I will wait another year.........CTX must be first. LOL......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread