Etrac settings

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't want to open a can of worms here but here goes.

I know there are thousands of posts on settings and patterns, but which do you use for silver in iron infestations?

I was using Andy s pattern but I need help with a mode for iron falsing.

Today I had 3 solid signals 12/45-15/47 and all 3 were iron.
I was using D tech 13 inch coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How thick is the iron? 13 may be too large of a coil size depending on the trash density. Also are you running in FER or COND? In heavy iron I like to run FER, helps a lot with the falsing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small coil, 2 tone ferrous, fast on, work it real slow. If the silver is shallow, turn down the sensitivity. I'd run an open screen and just listen for high tones to squeak through.

Last edited:
OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! I'm running multi conduct thresh 26 I think. Fast on deep off.

I dug a merc today and next hole got a jumpy dig me silver tone, ferrus 25 conduct 46( which I have found can mean silver or a quarter next to a nail) but it was a massive nail.

Dang Etrac is a silver snifter just wish I didn't need a phD to operate it! Lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25 is pretty high on the ferrous scale. I wouldn't expect silver with that reading. Once you get enough hours in (minimum 100, more likely 200), you'll get used to matching sound and reading, with a particular target.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! I'm running multi conduct thresh 26 I think. Fast on deep off.

I dug a merc today and next hole got a jumpy dig me silver tone, ferrus 25 conduct 46( which I have found can mean silver or a quarter next to a nail) but it was a massive nail.

Dang Etrac is a silver snifter just wish I didn't need a phD to operate it! Lol

Try this. Go to minlab coins mode and push the up arrow untill you see +3 on the left side of the screen.
Now lay one of those nails down and go over it. Now lay a dime under the nail and try that.
Let me know what happens.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try this. Go to minlab coins mode and push the up arrow untill you see +3 on the left side of the screen.
Now lay one of those nails down and go over it. Now lay a dime under the nail and try that.
Let me know what happens.

Okay I'll do it this evening... thanks!

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This may make little sense b/c im a good way though a 12 pack of buds, but for me there are two nice features of the etrac that work for varying amounts of iron.

In a park setting (sporadic iron that's fooling you) where you get what you think is a nice signal that would turn out to be deep iron, quickmask can help. On a deep large nail for example the etrac might deliver a decent 'signal' over one portion of the nail's field. Most of the nail is getting discrimmed out in andy's pattern...only that one little area of the magnetic field is reading 12/46 or whatever.

Hitting quickmask opens up the screen entirely (no discrimination). The whole target is getting through. And if your readings immediately go from 12/46 to 30/46 to 35/46 it's likely that the target is iron...at least in my limited experience.

In a field setting where you have a literal carpet of iron, your best bet is, as was suggested above, 2-tone ferrous. Go slow and the etrac can do very well in those situations, especially with a smaller coil. Nowhere near as fast as the fastest machines, but fast enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread