Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've just recently tried this at a relic site and have been quite pleased.

Also using ferrous coin, I set my ferrous line at 13 as a high tone and anything above that gets the low tone. Why 13? Just as a break point that gives me some indication that a high tone target may be one that falls in the proverbial sweet spot of 11-13. Of course, at such a relic site, I dig it all anyway but it does simplify my "tone life" considerably.

Anyone else try this? If so, I'd very much like to hear your comments.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I use combined, but I dug a buffalo nickel a month or two ago that was quite deep. The target trace ran a smudge up the screen from the iron area up to the area where nickel would be indicated.

If my audio was set as you described, would I get a low, then high tone? I do not like to be a screen-gazer, but there is so much information available on the CTX that it is difficult for me to hunt on audio alone.

I will set up a program to try your method out, maybe I will see some value there.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
ive seen dimes come in as low as 18 on the ferrous line.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ive seen dimes come in as low as 18 on the ferrous line.

Yes, I have also. Many variables go into affecting that ferrous number. When I'm in two tone ferrous, I look at the CO number more than anything. I merely set the FE line at 13 to differentiate the tones to some degree...arbitrary at best no matter where that FE line is set in TTF. Bottom line, you can't go only by the numbers.

Since we were interested in army relics of the period, we dug it all anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread