AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some great advice in this thread, and I'm watching it closely as I will be heading to the UK in a few months for a hunt myself.

The 17" coil sounds great, but the weight of it just something that I'm not keen on trying.........at least not for several days in a row?

Where did you get the Tadpole 4 and Ghost 4 program from.......or better still, what are they?

Hmmmm..........now I have a few things to look up!

As for me, I run wide open until all that chatter starts to drive me nuts, then I switch to the silver mode for a while to give my ears a break.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some great advice in this thread, and I'm watching it closely as I will be heading to the UK in a few months for a hunt myself.

The 17" coil sounds great, but the weight of it just something that I'm not keen on trying.........at least not for several days in a row?

Where did you get the Tadpole 4 and Ghost 4 program from.......or better still, what are they?

As for me, I run wide open until all that chatter starts to drive me nuts, then I switch to the silver mode for a while to give my ears a break.

I use a sling to take the weight off my swinging arm. I can go all day with one of those. As for chatter driving you nuts.....turn down the manual sensitivity or switch to Auto to get rid of it. I wouldn't use a silver program as you will lose a lot of good targets on the lower end of the scale........including silver! Most of the hammered silver over there reads a lot lower than the milled silver we're used to. Plus, you don't want to miss a gold coin, do you?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as Cuda, I have water hunted from dawn till dark using a harness and it is my legs that hurt the most, not my arm.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Geobound, There are two programs four screens designed by Gordon Heritage to work together. The first program has two screens that you hunt in its called tadpole 4. The other program is called ghost 4 which if you get a tricky signal and you're not sure, you check it with this program to see if its iron or not. You toggle between the two programs with the previous mode button. If you want them i can send you the programs if you inbox me a email to send them to.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a sling to take the weight off my swinging arm. I can go all day with one of those. As for chatter driving you nuts.....turn down the manual sensitivity or switch to Auto to get rid of it. I wouldn't use a silver program as you will lose a lot of good targets on the lower end of the scale........including silver! Most of the hammered silver over there reads a lot lower than the milled silver we're used to. Plus, you don't want to miss a gold coin, do you?

I'm the type of guy that digs just about every target just to make sure that I'm not missing anything so I rarely switch modes (now anyway).

When I first got the CTX in April of this year I used almost exclusively the Silver program because I was determined to find some. After a few weeks of learning the machine (as much as one can learn in silver mode), I went full open.

You do hear a lot of sounds, but the silver keeps hitting as it did before I tuned the other crap out. The upside is that now I find all sorts of stuff.......good and bad! LOL....

The sling is a good idea..........torn though.....sling and 17" coil or stick with stock and go to a smaller coiler for tighter hunting spaces??

Because of the trip to the UK I'm thinking the Volkswagen on the end of a stick is better than a hockey puck!

Thanks for the reply.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as Cuda, I have water hunted from dawn till dark using a harness and it is my legs that hurt the most, not my arm.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Is it uncomfortable to wear?

I guess I should look up and see just how much heavier the coil is, maybe I can do it without the sling?

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Geobound, There are two programs four screens designed by Gordon Heritage to work together. The first program has two screens that you hunt in its called tadpole 4. The other program is called ghost 4 which if you get a tricky signal and you're not sure, you check it with this program to see if its iron or not. You toggle between the two programs with the previous mode button. If you want them i can send you the programs if you inbox me a email to send them to.

That would be great, thanks.

I will PM you my addy.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't hunted England,I don't plan on hunting England. After using the CTX for a solid 300 hours I can say this...if you have a heavy concentration of iron/targets of ANY kind and you run ANY discrimination in your regular hunting program, the possibility that you'll miss that initial hit increases to varying degrees. Depending on your sweep speed and angle of attack....where ALOT of targets are present,the audio MUST be kept alive. I regularly break this rule and hunt with discrimination applied when I'm feeling lazy,but it's a "good find" killer.
If your audio is going silent because of discrimination you are doing yourself a disservice. TRUST what the machine is telling you, even with the 17" coil when you get it. It is absolutely PHENOMENAL!! If you are getting mentally over loaded,shorten your sweep and slow your forward step...

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't hunted England,I don't plan on hunting England. After using the CTX for a solid 300 hours I can say this...if you have a heavy concentration of iron/targets of ANY kind and you run ANY discrimination in your regular hunting program, the possibility that you'll miss that initial hit increases to varying degrees. Depending on your sweep speed and angle of attack....where ALOT of targets are present,the audio MUST be kept alive. I regularly break this rule and hunt with discrimination applied when I'm feeling lazy,but it's a "good find" killer.
If your audio is going silent because of discrimination you are doing yourself a disservice. TRUST what the machine is telling you, even with the 17" coil when you get it. It is absolutely PHENOMENAL!! If you are getting mentally over loaded,shorten your sweep and slow your forward step...

Thanks for your info IDXMonster its much appreciated. I should be getting the 17'' coil next week hopefully, can't wait to try it.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your info IDXMonster its much appreciated. I should be getting the 17'' coil next week hopefully, can't wait to try it.

You're very welcome Paul,it's all just sage advice I've gotten from guys who have been around and know better. Good luck with the 17", it's on the verge of comically big! Let us know how you do...

Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions