CTX 3030, hunting cache, settings?

motherlode77

Jun 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for a cache of gold coins, buried at old camp site, allegedly in old glass jars, but possibly metal cans. I have a CTX 3030 (11" and 17" coils, but I will be hunting with the 17" due to the likely depth of target) because of the high amount of trash at this location, I have the CTX 3030 handbook by Andy Sabisch, but I am still new to this machine and it practically requires a PhD to operate. Does anyone have any ideas or pointers on the CTX settings which would be best for such a hunt, what I should be looking for as far as machine response? I am testing and practicing with it, but of course I do not have a jar full of gold to measure the response with. Thank you all.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i was you I would dig everything

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to tailor your soil to what Andy recommends for your settings. Then run a wide open screen and like sonofadigger says, Dig Everything. You have to go on the idea that they are in metal cans so theres no way to discriminate and still completely cover the site to the limits of you and your detector.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll say this from my bootcamp experience. Don't use the Ground Balance button, use the Noice Cancel button, and do it frequently. Otherwise Andy has a great program which loyalists will defend. He tells you how to do it in his book. You just gotta tough it out and read & study his book, and it doesn't take a PhD.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is that much gold in these jars or cans, then I think you will know when you are over them?

Especially when you hit the pinpoint button, as it will likely blow your ears off.

Aside from that, run a wide open screen and dig any solid repeatable signal.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CTX might be "scary" for first time users, but you will not be all over the settings once you feel comfortable with the detector at all.

As others have said, I'd dig everything to be sure I am not missing something, try the 11" first until you become used to the machine and sounds you have it set on, otherwise the 17" will and might overwhelm you for sure by the amount of information is giving you and lack of experience pinpointing the target.

I'd do a custom combined program for it, I always hated the 50 tones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread