Excal II knob replacement

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The most used knob on my Excal is the Sensitivity knob, or power on feature.

I don't really know the history of my Excal as I purchased it used out of warranty. And I love it to death.

I'm a planner, so with my equipment I really do like to be prepared. I'd read somewhere a couple years back that you should have a set of spare knobs in case a knob failed. So, I picked up a set. And I also use a knob guard.

At the end of yesterday's hunt with Steve, when I turned the machine off, the knob failed.

I've read a whole lot of times about internal damage if the user turned the knob too far.

I put a replacement knob on with set screw - where the stock knob had a plastic sheath, which busted - and did not turn off the machine. I believe this was from fatigue. I put the new knob on and then turned the machine off. Then I turned it back on and it worked fine. And turned it off again.

I'm expecting to get out and use it maybe as soon as tomorrow - had two minor surgeries today - Basel Cells. I'm stitched up. But I did tell the surgeon I wanted to get in the water again tomorrow! He said he put kind of a water proof material over the wounds and then bandaged them.

Drama you didn't want to hear, but I thought it was funny :)

So, back to the important thing....

I've always been paranoid about turning a knob too far. I do believe this failure was just from fatigue. That small yellow plastic insert between the knob and the stud just gave up. I've 4 more new knobs to go. The beast works and I may be in the water tomorrow :)

So, my question is seeking experience on this Excal issue. I want the beast to last as long as I last :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a set of Anderson Excal knobs, they are 50% larger and come with brass fitting and SS set screw, they last for years and years...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy a set of Anderson Excal knobs, they are 50% larger and come with brass fitting and SS set screw, they last for years and years...

That's what I'd bought, and read that over two years ago on TNet. That's the only knob I use, everything else stays where I have it set.

Though I do look forward to a pin point mod. I begin to think maybe I need a 2nd Excal just in case. You know, this water stuff is addictive!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how I feel too, that's why I have 3 Excaliburs! I just can't be without one. all mine have aftermarket knobs. I got one set from a local surplus store that carries lots of electronics. The others I got online through e-bay. I like the ones with tiny pointers sticking out to make turning easier and so I can just feel where the knob is pointing during night use. Know which way the knob turns, just turn it slowly, and you won't have a problem breaking the pots.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used my Excal 2 last weekend. Been a while since I used it last 6 months, it is probably six years old. First day broke my pin/disc knob. Second day broke on/off. Think it is age of the plastic. Ordered Anderson knobs today. Should have been prepared, luckily I was only detecting for two days.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would add that I recommend using the knobs with allen set screws rather than ones that use a tiny screw driver. After you get a bit of corrosion going, you'll be glad you did!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread