Questions, tips on acquiring an Excal II?

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I decided I'm saving up for an Excal II. Any tips on how to get the best deal possible on one of these detectors?

Secondly, would you suggest buying new compared to trying to find a used one? I've never bought a used detector before. There was a nice used one for under $800 bucks I saw recently, but as of today, its already gone. I didn't have the money anyway.

Lastly, what exactly is the different between an Excal, and an Excal II? Is the II significantly better?

Thanks!

I wish Excals weren't so dang expensive.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner who runs the Minelab repair center has slightly used one for sale. It was only used to test coils in repair center and is in new mint condition.

Excal comes with the pinpoint mod on an Anderson handle (you will need to buy a new anderson shaft for $120 to put handle on as he has to recover the handle that was modded for pinpoint ). It comes with the better Gray Ghost Amphibian headphones instead of stock hp, Anderson knobs, new o-rings, 10 inch coil and full 1 year warranty just like new. Basically same price as new excal but with over $450 worth of custom mods. Mods are brand new, detector has never been used beyond testing.

Let me know if your interested and I will call and let Dave know.

If your not familiar with the mods do some research on them, the mods basically make an excal a whole new detector..

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good deal for someone! If you can't swing it financially, sometimes you can get good deals for a used one through a local detector store or our sponsors on this site. You might also check local pawn shops. I found a 2 that way for only $250. For that kind of price, you can do lots of upgrades. The blue tube and Excal 2 don't seem to be much different in my experience. I own both and they perform similarly.

Lunchboxx

Aug 21, 2018
Susanville
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excalibur II
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Excal II through word of mouth from a a coworker. I don't know the age of it and have to replace at least 3 of the knobs. But I got it for $250

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Excal II through word of mouth from a a coworker. I don't know the age of it and have to replace at least 3 of the knobs. But I got it for $250

Get some replacement knobs with Allen head set screws. The factory knobs suck. I like ones with a decent size pointer on them, so, at night, you can just feel where they're set. Just remember to be careful turning them. You can break the switch pods if you are too aggressive or turn them the wrong way past the stop. That's why the factory made the ones they did. They were supposed to break before the switch did. Problem is, they break TOO easy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread