Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I know my hunting partner uses a 15" WOT, He has found lots of deep goodies with that coil! I am sorry that I can't give you a opinion, I havent used one before.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ask jeff ed, im pretty sure he uses one of those monsters! i think ive seen gravediggermax swinging on of them as well.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I tried a SunRay X-12 several times for Civil War Relics. It didn't work as well as my stock 10.5" coil. It was lighter, covered more area, but I could not run the sensitivity as high because it would become unstable. Could have been the hot ground here in GA & VA did not help matters.

Just my opinion.
Jeff

Dreamweaver43

May 25, 2006
Wisconsin
Born,

I have a WOT in my coil arsenal. It is a very good coil, and you will be able to find stuff deeper than the stock coil, depending on the site.

When I first got it, it drove me nuts and I put it on the shelf for a few months. It's tough to use since it is quite sensitive in somewhat trashy environments, it seems to false more than the stock on deep iron or screwcaps, especially in wet ground. But that's more than an annoyance, once you get used to it. Pinpointing is tough due to the size, but doable.

I would say that depending on the site you have, you could realize anywhere from 2-3 inches of improved target ID compared to the stock, which I think in the biggest advantage of the WOT. It will ID deep fringe targets more accurately than the stock coil.

I had a spot that held quite a few deep coins (6-8inch range), and after I pounded away with stock coil, I took the WOT off the shelf and tried again. The spot literally opened up again and I dug a bunch more coins. Some were deep, 8inches to 10inches, but some were in the same range that the stock missed.

I think that using the WOT is site specific for using it's advantages. There has to be deep stuff there to find, and I don't believe that all sites have stuff at the 10in or greater range. Some of my oldest sites have nothing, at least that I can ID, deeper than 6in. Using the WOT there gives you no advantage, and probably is not the best choice. But if you have a spot that your finding targets on the fringe of the stock coils range, not overly trashy, the WOT will be able to clean up more stuff!

Dream

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Ed,
I've never used the EXPII but own 2 of the SEs. I own numerous coils including both the 12 and 14 inch Excelerator coils. They both are extremely good and I believe interchange with the Exp. series. The WOTs have good reputations as well but I've never used them. You may find your SENSITIVITY settings may need to be readjusted changing from smaller to larger coils but I normally run MAX 32 on everything when possible. The SENSITIVITY settings also effect your SUNRAY probe, if used as its just another coil according to the manu.

GRB

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 12" excelerator coil and have not really found anything deep with it yet,BUT i have been impressed with its ability to find even shallow targets in areas that have been well hunted.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread