Minelab ProFind 15 and 35 pin pointers!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, if I have gotten it narrowed down to the hole the target is in, I don't need a pinpointed that will discriminate. If I dig a piece of iron out with my target is no big deal. That iron might be masking something else and by getting it out, you may uncover another goodie. I have did that a few times actually.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Agree for typical target recovery not all that useful, but where it comes in handy is when you are digging out a pit on a relic site and you are combing through the removed dirt for small relics. Typically, that dirt is full of square nails (from the hut you are excavating) as well as keeper relics, so it helps if the pinpointer is doing a crude determination if you are hitting on a nail or other iron junk as you go through the dirt looking for bullets, brass, and buttons by giving off two different types of tones. Much easier than attempting to awkwardly scan using your detector by holding it by the shaft while you are on your hands and knees.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Yes I can see it to be very useful for that. I haven't had the opportunity to do that type of hunting, I am mainly a coinshooter. For that application you just mentioned, it would be great.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I'm with you on the 1" rule to a point. What I now do, is I carry two pinpointers, currently the Garrett black, and the Garrett orange, reason being, I'm lazy. I have the "carrot" set at max depth, after pinpointing with the detector, getting down on one knee, I can further pin point with the carrot, after digging my plug, if not finding the target, it is often off center somewhere in the hole, with the pointer set at max, I can't tell what side of the hole the target is in, yes, I CAN go through the adjustments to bring down the sen; and then go through the adj's again back to max, but after doing that time and again, it gets old, where as, I instead then switch over to the Garrett "black", and zero in on where or what side of the hole, it's a simple matter for me, and has worked really well. The new pin pointer with iron tone? that in itself could come in very handy I think, more so say like crawling under a porch without a detector or other tight places. Everybody comes to what works best for themselves, I would buy the new one, having the iron tone AND being waterproof, and keep the carrot in my rig for a spare, if someone I'm with should forget theirs or something.

There's no need to go through the settings adjustment through the Carrot's menu. Just leave it on the highest, when needing less sensitivity on the fly, tap the power button once during a strong, unknown signal location, and it instantly "tunes-down." It tunes to max again when re-powering or simply by holding the pointer in the air or on open ground, and tapping the button again. Very simple.

I do carry two pointers though. Carrot and TRX. TRX gets better depth but doesn't have side detection. Depending on the detector's indicated depth, dictates which one comes out first. Carrot is my finishing pointer when a strong tone comes on the TRX, and definitely once the target is in the pile of dirt. TRX is tedious IMPO for final location.

I can never grasp why folks think they must go into settings(and it is a clumsy process) with the Carrot.

The detune on the Carrot with a quick tap on the power button is indispensable for the way I dig. Very speedy, and I can still have max depth on the Carrot at power up, and during the hole search with one tap in open air. Easy-peezy

If this is confusing, just hold a coin in an air test at 1" and tap the button. Your sens is then 1". The sensitivity settings in the menu is a hassle unless you want to KEEP it lower at power up

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's no need to go through the settings adjustment through the Carrot's menu. Just leave it on the highest, when needing less sensitivity on the fly, tap the power button once during a strong, unknown signal location, and it instantly "tunes-down." It tunes to max again when re-powering or simply by holding the pointer in the air or on open ground, and tapping the button again. Very simple.

I do carry two pointers though. Carrot and TRX. TRX gets better depth but doesn't have side detection. Depending on the detector's indicated depth, dictates which one comes out first. Carrot is my finishing pointer when a strong tone comes on the TRX, and definitely once the target is in the pile of dirt. TRX is tedious IMPO for final location.

I can never grasp why folks think they must go into settings(and it is a clumsy process) with the Carrot.

The detune on the Carrot with a quick tap on the power button is indispensable for the way I dig. Very speedy, and I can still have max depth on the Carrot at power up, and during the hole search with one tap in open air. Easy-peezy

If this is confusing, just hold a coin in an air test at 1" and tap the button. Your sens is then 1". The sensitivity settings in the menu is a hassle unless you want to KEEP it lower at power up

Good info there, McKinney, thanks.

I have the carrot, but always hunt with in at level 2 sens, only switching to 3 when I need "more." I like your idea WAY better -- KEEP it in 3, and just "detune" when necessary.

This is going to be a time-saving tip for me -- I had forgotten that you could de-tune it just with a bump of the power button when near a metal object; even the old black ones can do that, if I recall (now that you mention it).

Thanks,

Steve

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Good info there, McKinney, thanks.

I have the carrot, but always hunt with in at level 2 sens, only switching to 3 when I need "more." I like your idea WAY better -- KEEP it in 3, and just "detune" when necessary.

This is going to be a time-saving tip for me -- I had forgotten that you could de-tune it just with a bump of the power button when near a metal object; even the old black ones can do that, if I recall (now that you mention it).

Thanks,

Steve

The black ones need a full power down...used it for years. Carrot and TRX both, are neat with the fast button tap. If they are erratic before entering the hole, touch the tip on ground beside the hole and then power up. Glad I helped ;-)

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotcha, on the black one. Thanks much for the tip on the Carrot. You are right, that will make things quite convenient. And tapping the button when in the air "re-sets" the sensitivity to max, so you don't need a full power-down to re-set the sensitivity?

I have always powered it down completely to re-set the sensitivity...

Steve

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha, on the black one. Thanks much for the tip on the Carrot. You are right, that will make things quite convenient. And tapping the button when in the air "re-sets" the sensitivity to max, so you don't need a full power-down to re-set the sensitivity?

I have always powered it down completely to re-set the sensitivity...

Steve

Yup! Me too. Didn't know you could do that with the Carrot! Kinda puts the carrot back in the limelight, though it is still now my backup for the 35!

Frank

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank - how is the iron tone working on the Pro 35? I saw am indoor demo and it was not working well so I passed on it.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank - how is the iron tone working on the Pro 35? I saw am indoor demo and it was not working well so I passed on it.

Air tested fine, but I'll let you know after I actually dig a hole that contains iron. (The 600 has let me bypass those so far! LOL!) <grunt grunt!>

I did send back the first one (bought from a forum member on the "other" forum, and was only a month or two old. It started doing some weird things, and Minelab Service (especially Tracy) took great care of me. Label printed, sent and a brand new, in the box 35 in my hands a week later!

My Carrot has a new lease on life as well, after learning the button push method mentioned earlier in this thread. It is now my backup, but even more effective now and basically on par with the 35, except for ferrous indications.

Frank

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking at a Pro Find 35.. I have a Whites Trx and the Garrett Carrot . I like the TRX but can barely hear it anymore and I dislike the Carrot. I like minimum sensitivity and that's what I use with the Carrot but I still don't like it.. Can anyone tell me what they think of the Pro Find 35 in comparison

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at a Pro Find 35.. I have a Whites Trx and the Garrett Carrot . I like the TRX but can barely hear it anymore and I dislike the Carrot. I like minimum sensitivity and that's what I use with the Carrot but I still don't like it.. Can anyone tell me what they think of the Pro Find 35 in comparison

Hello Normsel. I use the Whites TRX also and recently tried the Pro Find 35. In my opinion, it is a very poor pinpointer and I am surprised ML would put thier name on it! I was interested in the ferrous tone feature but found it to be worthless. It is inconsistent, breaking up and/or giving continuous pulse on both ferrous and conductive targets. I could not get mine to consistently react to any targets. The ferrous ID function is the selling point, so anyone expecting two distinct tones and/or pulses will be very disappointed in my opinion.

Note: It is not very loud. The TRX is a lot louder and tone is much more pleasant. I also favor the TRX because it only detects at the tip.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Hello Normsel. I use the Whites TRX also and recently tried the Pro Find 35. In my opinion, it is a very poor pinpointer and I am surprised ML would put thier name on it! I was interested in the ferrous tone feature but found it to be worthless. It is inconsistent, breaking up and/or giving continuous pulse on both ferrous and conductive targets. I could not get mine to consistently react to any targets. The ferrous ID function is the selling point, so anyone expecting two distinct tones and/or pulses will be very disappointed in my opinion.

Note: It is not very loud. The TRX is a lot louder and tone is much more pleasant. I also favor the TRX because it only detects at the tip.

Disagree on all points. I used 6 different pinpionters over the years and this is by far the best. Doesn't false in normal ground, and in mineralized ash, you just ground balance it and it works fine. I don't know how I ever did without it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread