Excal 2 issues after instaling new NEL Thunder coil

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some work done on my machine which included a new NEL Thunder coil. Ever since my machine is unstable as all get out. I can't hunt in the saltwater or barely even in wet sand. It is constantly changing frequencies and I cannot seem to find a stable threshold in pinpoint or discrim.

I have tried lots of adjustments and have not had much luck. It gets more stable when i crank the sensitivity way down but it seems to lose a lot of depth also which isn't good. Ive been relegated to the dry sand only for now and it is not fun. I need my old performace back!!!

I am reading Clyde Cinek's (sp?) Book about advanced techniques with the excal in hopes i can gain some insight to get it working well again.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??
I hope I don't have to send it in for work but it's look8ng more and more like I will have to.

Thanks

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Nel coils seem to have major issues, probably grounding issue, same with the Attack and the Sovereign coils for the Excal, all 3 have issue being unstable in saltwater environment. I have a Nel Sovereign coil on one of my 3 excals that works fine, but I know of at least a dozen other users who had bad Nel coils on their excals and had to have them removed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Treasure_Hunter.
You can add me to that less than desirable list. I took my machine out today with the stock coil on it and it worked just fine.

I guess now I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a larger coil for an excal II?

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently some work and some don't. Tony Eisenhower has one and it seems to work ok. Kellyco told me to hold off until its figured out - too many complaints with shielding in salt water. How does it work in dry though? Curious what you got with air test of a quarter with standard coil and now Thunder as my 10" tests about 8".

OP
OP
S

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to work pretty well in dry sand. You can certainly cover more ground faster and it holds a steady threshold. The steady threshold ends shortly after you pass the high tide line, then it's endless frequency changes.

I have not air tested it. If I put it back on I'll try this.
The depth didn't seem that much different on dry sand than the stock coil to be honest.

The research I'm doing for replacement coils isn't coming up with anything all that new. The Coiltek WOT, the 10x12 SEF and a Sunray 12. These options are based upon a thread that is 5 years old.
Is there anything newer out there for an Excal besides NEL?

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad the stock coil worked for you. I try to stay with the same manufacturer for everything on the machine. Guess I"m too chicken to try another coil brand on it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to work pretty well in dry sand. You can certainly cover more ground faster and it holds a steady threshold. The steady threshold ends shortly after you pass the high tide line, then it's endless frequency changes.

I have not air tested it. If I put it back on I'll try this.
The depth didn't seem that much different on dry sand than the stock coil to be honest.

The research I'm doing for replacement coils isn't coming up with anything all that new. The Coiltek WOT, the 10x12 SEF and a Sunray 12. These options are based upon a thread that is 5 years old.
Is there anything newer out there for an Excal besides NEL?
There will be.

The Coiltek WOT, the Detech10x12 and 12x15 SEF and the Nel are 3 most popular choices.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use and am very happy with the NEL Attack coil. Hopefully NEL will get the bugs worked out. Has anyone tried the NEL Big on an Excalibur?

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are the bad NEL Coils ending up? I was going to buy a new one until I discovered the problems man have had. I'm wondering if it is a ground wiring issue or something internal to the coil itself, like the shield not having a gap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions