Need help with metal detectors.

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, so I am looking for a pretty good metal detector for around $800-1000. My main goal is to relic hunt, swords, jewelry, ancient artifacts (iron I'm guessing) you get the point. So far I really like the Safari but I'm also the etrac is good too. For $500 more I can get the Excalibur 2 but I mean I don't know how much I'll be in the water honestly. Is the Safari good for relic hunting like deep relic hunting....

OP
OP
S

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also wanted to mention when I say deep I mean like I plan to go to ancient areas, old sites, old war areas hoping to find stuff or medieval areas England etc you know I want a detector that's capable of this.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaen, I have a Safari, and I really do like it, but, it IS a slower machine, meaning the sweep speed, and the recovery speed, perhaps because of the FBS it uses. I also use the Garrett AT Pro, again, a good detector. Having said that, if you are not in a hurry, next year Minelab will have the new Equinox out, I am looking at that, BUT, I'm waiting to see more information on it. It just might roll both the Safari and the AT Pro into one machine, only better I think. For "Relic" hunting, the better machine to use?, There are some fella's on T-Net whose primary hunting style IS relic hunting, perhaps they can offer up some good choices for that. As far as the Safari & ATP, I have a feeling that the price on both will be coming down next year as well. That's all I have to offer up.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP Deus, Fisher F75, and all the multifrequency Minelabs are good relic machines and get nice depth.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MX sport has been killing the relics here for me, comes in around 750 or 800 for price. also the xp deus, ctx 3030 are great options if you have the cash or can find good used units

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Safari with the WOT coil run in relic mode but you do have to swing slower than the AT pro and its a busy detector when theres junk around (meaning it'll sound off on a target nearly every swing). The machine is simple to understand and learn but I always learn the same lesson. If its really deep the TID is off so I dig every deep target that gives me a signal above iron to get those old coins (I avoid most iron relics unless I am in a special location). You can find the machine for $600-700. I'd like to see a head to head with a 15" on the AT vs 15" on the Safari. The Safari goes as deep as I care to dig (Large cent at 20", dime at 10"+ for me) but is sensitive around EMI and while its better than AT pro its not as good as Excal/sovereign with mineralization (salt water, hot rocks) with the big coil on. Also changing coils is a pain with this machine so I leave the big one on. Its the nature of the big beast coil but in farm fields this thing kills it, covering a lot of ground very deep. I hear the F75 is fast and good around iron. McDig has one I think. The Safari is my go to machine and you can hear the difference in tone between a pull tab, a nickel and a gold ring even though all three will ring up at 14-15 TID. I frequently switch between all metal and coin/ jewelry mode to discern if a target is diggable and its like having two units in one. I am biased but my two cents.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have the etrac and love it, but as has been said, it is a slow machine. But the information it gives you about ferrous and nonferrous objects is what makes it a winner for me. It is a great coin shooter, and that is what I do 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent is relic hunting, and I think it does well here also, other brands may be more suited for relics, I.e. faster recovery speed, but I haven't had an issue using the etrac for relics either.

It is expensive though, but I would buy it again if something happened to the one i have now. Its the best coin machine I have personally ever used.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Safari is a Waaaay underrated machine imo. You wont go wrong with a Safari unless you want to dunk it.
But if you can wait a few more months + if the hype = performance, what you want is the new Minelab Equinox.

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think if you're searching for artifacts then why not go with a PI unit? Your gonna dig everything including iron right? They ignore ground mineralization and go deeper than normal frequency units.

OP
OP
S

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I decided if I can be patient I should get a Ctx the best out there, etracs big brother lol. That's the two best machines under $3000 I know of. I guess you do have the equinox coming soon though do you think the equinox will beat the Ctx I really doubt it will come close IDK though. The equinox was supposed to be out be now it's past the 16th.....

OP
OP
S

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also atx pro is in the same range as those two yet a different machine.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, the announcement for the Eq was mid September, not the release. Rumors say early Dec (possibly first in the UK) to February.

It wont supplant the CTX- for many tech and business reasons that are argued to death elsewheres.

BTW, since this is your first detector, know that msrp is Never actual price. Contact several dealers you have a good opinion of and ask their best price on what you want. Don't forget to include accessories like a pinpointer and digging tools. DO NOT be fooled by a dealer adding junk accessories to a package to appear to up the value. Get what YOU want, and nothing else. A good dealer will help you a LOT after the sale if you want. Ask around via PM.

re PI for relics. I intentionally avoided that aspect. I agree that a PI would be best for his stated purpose, but I don't think its the right choice for him at this time. Maybe with a year or 2 experience....and that's no slam on the OP.

OP
OP
S

Shaen9319

Jul 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help, I've done years of research on the Pi actually and even the ctx I just never saved up lol. the best pi in my opinion would be the Atx pro by Garrett but I'm not ready for that type of machine really I believe a ctx is enough to master by its self I seen videos they take ctx relic hunting. The hunt for treasure island TV show they used ctx, there's a few other big hunts they usually take a ctx. I plan to get the atx after for my main gold hunting and more extreme depth relics, and Excalibur two for water hunts.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Ctx from what I've seen is a great detector. I can't justify it though for myself as I bought the etrac first, and 4000 bucks tied up in 2 detectors to me is a ton of money. If the equinox lives up to the hype once some real testing is done on it, then that would be a good option as it is right in your original price range. I am waiting to buy a water detector because it came out and I want to see it go head to head with some other machines, like the ctx, at max, mx sport, etc.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, the announcement for the Eq was mid September, not the release. Rumors say early Dec (possibly first in the UK) to February.

It wont supplant the CTX- for many tech and business reasons that are argued to death elsewheres.

BTW, since this is your first detector, know that msrp is Never actual price. Contact several dealers you have a good opinion of and ask their best price on what you want. Don't forget to include accessories like a pinpointer and digging tools. DO NOT be fooled by a dealer adding junk accessories to a package to appear to up the value. Get what YOU want, and nothing else. A good dealer will help you a LOT after the sale if you want. Ask around via PM.

re PI for relics. I intentionally avoided that aspect. I agree that a PI would be best for his stated purpose, but I don't think its the right choice for him at this time. Maybe with a year or 2 experience....and that's no slam on the OP.

If Minelab is smart they will try and get it out before Christmas, lots of them would be getting wrapped and put under trees.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
Dennis at METALDETECORS.COM usually discounts detectors give him a call

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you have the money go for gpx, atx, tdi pro with bigger mono coil, you can find a good price on a used tdi pro from different online detecting forums

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread