Here's a quick demo of the new ProFind 35's ferrous tone.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. A low tone/hi tone would have been a lot nicer. Kinda strange.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems kind of interesting, from my perspective. Clearly, when he was "touching" the nail, versus "touching" the coin, with the pinpointer, there were two clearly different tones. Nice!

What I wish he would have done is show if there is ALSO that tonal difference when the objects were, say, an inch or so away from the unit. In other words, how far from the tip of the pinpointer is the "discrimination" accurate? Is it the same tone for both objects, until you are essentially "touching" the object? If that's that case, that is of very little use from my perspective. BUT -- if you have that different tone all the way out (or close to it) to the maximum detecting distance, now that's a whole other thing, and would be quite useful, IMO.

Guess we'll have to see some more. I really wish he'd have held the nail, and the coin, an inch or so from the pinpointer and held them stationary, so we could see if the different tone, the "discrimination." was functional at that greater distance from the unit.

Steve

Last edited:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Honestly I want to get everything out of the hole anyway when i am in there. I don't see the point if you clear the hole of all metal anyway like I like to do.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have preferred a lower tone for ferrous, but for the price it is still a good deal in my book.

OP
OP
CJayC

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems kind of interesting, from my perspective. Clearly, when he was "touching" the nail, versus "touching" the coin, with the pinpointer, there were two clearly different tones. Nice!

What I wish he would have done is show if there is ALSO that tonal difference when the objects were, say, an inch or so away from the unit. In other words, how far from the tip of the pinpointer is the "discrimination" accurate? Is it the same tone for both objects, until you are essentially "touching" the object? If that's that case, that is of very little use from my perspective. BUT -- if you have that different tone all the way out (or close to it) to the maximum detecting distance, now that's a whole other thing, and would be quite useful, IMO.

Guess we'll have to see some more. I really wish he'd have held the nail, and the coin, an inch or so from the pinpointer and held them stationary, so we could see if the different tone, the "discrimination." was functional at that greater distance from the unit.

Steve

I just found this video, and it should answer your question.

Basically, the ferrous tone only triggers when you're almost touching it. When it's ferrous, it switches to slower, "beep-beep-beep" pattern, whereas when it's non-ferrous, it's just a steady, "beeeeeeeeeeeeep" sound.

From what the video shows, the detection maxes out at about an inch from the target, for both ferrous and non-ferrous items alike. So just by the sound, there is no way to tell if you're touching the item or are still an inch away from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread