New to ctx

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using stock program (coin) at a park and keep getting false high tones while sweeping the coil using auto sens was still able to find stuff but it was awfully annoying any ideas on why it was doing this? I think the signals when it was doing this were 11-34 11-39 11-40 but each sweep it would ring six times at least .is something set improperly? I had target trace and pinpoint on tried taking it off same thing

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you certain that they were false and not tiny canslaw or similar?
Also, targets lying on top of the ground can sound off 3 times in a sweep; once for the center and once each for the outside of the coil.

OP
OP
W

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was constant no matter where I swept all over the field kept giving a great quick high tones making it hard to disguinsh a normal tone same thing happened when I put it in silver mode

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, to add to this, if the coin or object are tilted in the sod you'll get some odd responses, repeats, etc.

Are you using the pin point button? I personally do not. I use the wiggle method.

Since you're new to the CTX, you'll need to dig a bunch of these to get used to what the machine is telling you. Frustrating, but it's part of the learning curve. Drove me crazy at first!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out for 4 hours today with the CTX:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ver-ring-today-well-would-if-i-were-flea.html

I made some comments in that thread about the CTX. My hunting buddy always kicks my butt in finds using his Tejon. This is not negative about the CTX, but through my experience I spent too much time "interpreting" when I should be on to the next signal.

And I noted that when a coin is on or very near the surface, it's going to sound off all over the place = a large area.

I hope you note that point, as it could explain some of those signals you passed on.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ground is trashy like here in New England get use to it.
When you hear something that sounds good swing short strokes over that target to pull a better ID.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was doing this today. Had a great hunt the week before. Now turn it on and get single tone on multiple possibly false targets. Tried repowering, NC, beach vs coin mode, no success. Opened it up to get access to the coil and display connectors and undid them and put them back - worked. I am thinking to clean with contact cleaner and put a bit of silicone grease on the shield threads to prevent wicking of salt water into the contact areas.

wswhiting

Nov 30, 2013
Rogue River, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the CTX as well. I am a former AT Pro user. I too was confused about getting so many signals, but I think I am getting better. On my last hunt this past weekend I got three different signals with only one a possible good signal. I decided to dig and got a rusty nail, a pull tab and finally a clad dime. I find that most good signals are on the 12 ferrous line, but I do dig a ferrous 11 signal as well. One of these I thought was a gold ring (12-22). It got my heart rate going, but when I got home I found out it was only junk. Oh well. Next time!

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks new to CTX.
Watch your sweep speed.
Hard to sweep too slow, easy to sweep too fast.
Especially coming off of non fbs detectors.

New users should sweep every target while walking all the way around noting tone, and display readings.
Use your pinpoint function to judge target size.
Other little things you can do.
Lift coil while sweeping targets, note what happens.
Watch cursor position, it's behavior while sweeping.
Give conductive number more attention vs ferrous number.

Iron will false giving high tones.
New users need to dig some of these to verify that it is indeed iron.

Targets giving glint of high tones, user should walk all the way around these,,note the exact spot center of coil is when signal is provided.
Then pinpoint target and see if the same spot is achieved for detection.
If not,,likely iron.
Dig a few of these to verify iron.

Depth meter on coin size is about as accurate as there is on any detector really.

New users need to learn how to build programs users exchange 2 and load them.
Learn to access if even if feel you are not quite ready to use them.

Auto plus 3 will generally allow the CTX to run stable.
SPECIAL note, new users ensure you don't have the manual Ground Balance checked in your detector.
If it is, can cost you depth, and erratic operation and noise.

Do a noise cancel at every site before you start detecting.
Do a noise cancel if you are at a site,and a bud or person shows up detecting. Do noise cancel after they turn on their detector.
If your bud is using Deus, Nokta Impact, or White's V series detector, you may hear some noise depending on if they are changing freqs or not.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread