CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely understand the waterproof vs non waterproof.

From what I can tell the E-Trac sounds better in differentiating copper from silver vs the CTX

The price difference is huge when it comes to used E-Trac vs a CTX(new or used)

I am curious to hear from a few veterans who have used both machines. I’ve seen a few YouTubers sell their CTX machines in favor of the E-Trac.

Don’t really care about the GPS feature. Big Brother does not need to know where I found my last treasure..LOL

THANX IN ADVANCE:notworthy:

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the CTX after using the Etrac for a couple of years, I can honestly say, I wouldn't go back to the Etrac at this point. There's a couple of reasons, the target trace and target pinpoint is another valuable tool in helping to determine whether to dig or not along with the tones and the numbers. The second feature is the ability it chose where you want your tones to hit and at what pitch. I don't hunt the water, so waterproof isn't big deal nor is the GPS. The drawback, limited sizes of coils and the cost of the coils that are available and the cost of the machine.
As far as the sounds of the Etrac vs the CTX, I have my ear trained to the CTX's language so it's no big deal at this point. If your going to buy used, I'd suggest you find one with some warranty left just to cover your arse.

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting used to my new ctx-loving it! 676A3D09-6B44-4EDB-B633-8C357AE17237.jpeg DC9908CD-0E7A-4780-A5DB-FD5C1E838212.jpeg 5AD617CF-1FF3-41EF-A397-E57B948A6B0E.jpeg

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I own an etrac, and love it, but I would love to upgrade to the ctx. I just can't justify 4000 dollars tied up in 2 in detectors personally. Maybe one day, but not right now.

I do need a water detector and am holding off on purchasing one until the nox comes out. For coins though you can't beat the fbs machines. And that is what i hunt for the most. So I would say buy one that fits the type of hunting you do the most and you will be happy with your purchase.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned the E-trac from the year it was released until the CTX was released. I absolutely loved the PERFORMANCE of the E-Trac but its ergonomics suck. After switching to the CTX I never went back. I sold my E-Trac after it sat unused for the next year. The CTX gives a little better results for me but the ergonomics are sooooo much better. I can swing the CTX all day long, my arm would be toast after a couple hours with the E-Trac. The fact that I can take the CTX into the water and record GPS coords of finds were just icing on the cake.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell a silver dime from a wheat cent up to 8-9" with the CTX,with the numbers. You have to use High Trash Separation. I've dug around 600 wheats and 195 silver coins with the CTX...most with the 17" coil.
Ergonomics are substantially better between my Explorer and CTX,the latter the clear winner for me. I hunt in the rain,hose it off in the shower(wife really likes that) and the CTX has been nothing short of a magic wand.
Just my experience....

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the rain,hose it off in the shower(wife really likes that) and the CTX has been nothing short of a magic wand.
Just my experience....

Thank you all for your Input

IDXMonster you made me Laugh Out Loud?. Thank You

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the E-trac for about 18 months. Its a great performing machine but the balance issue drove me away. Almost cost me trip to the operating room to fix my elbow.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the Etrac and the CTX...
I loved my Etrac until I bought the CTX... Its amazing...
I started digging in 1977 and have used many machines...

The CTX advantage:
Ergonomics
Better screen by far
Hunting in combined tones
Target trace pinpoint
Ability to set bins and tones for each
Waterproof, just so I can wash it off with a hose in the driveway Not in the shower :)

Since I have gotten the CTX I have never used any other detector.

My Etrac, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F75 SE DST and the others all just sit :/

The CTX is truly in a class by itself...

Good luck...

Gary from Oregon

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Masterjedi encapsulated my view precisely..."The CTX is truly in a class by itself..."

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
If you can afford the ctx, and you want to find silver, buy it. If you can't afford it and your budget can afford an etrac and you hunt for coins, get the etrac. I can't recommend the nox just yet, I haven't seen enough of it yet to say it would be the way to go.

I have the etrac and it is heavy as others have pointed out due to its ergonomics, but it will find the silver once you understand its language. if I had the budget, I would get the ctx as it is updated technology, waterproof, and has improved ergonomics.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

meb9054

May 16, 2012
Question I have for you guys about the CTX is this... do you need a fast swing rate to use it? I’m really wanting to buy one but can not find an answer as far as slow or fast swing motion, thanks!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question I have for you guys about the CTX is this... do you need a fast swing rate to use it? I’m really wanting to buy one but can not find an answer as far as slow or fast swing motion, thanks!

Short answer...no. You need the CORRECT swing speed for the conditions of the site,which includes all the factors you've hunted with before. As always,putting yourself on a site that has a good probability of having what you're after is rule #1. I've only used the CTX for 2 seasons and wouldn't think of using anything else as my primary silver hunting machine,it blows my mind on a pretty regular basis.
IF you are the kind of hunter who just goes anywhere and looks for anything without actually TARGETING specific things,well...you probably don't need the accuracy of the CTX. The CTX is NOT a "dig it all" machine,that would be a terrible waste of its abilities.
Good luck! Should you decide to get the 17" coil with it, do yourself a favor and for an extra 150.00 or so get the Pro-Swing harness. It literally makes the machine FLOAT across the ground with just gentle movement from your hand,it's unreal. I also use the harness with my Stihl trimmer,and you can use it with ANY detector you have. The 17" coil and harness are 2 accessories I'd never be without.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IDXMonster is spot on. I use the 17" until I get into an area with a lot of signals. Then drop down to the 11" and go SLOW. I use the "buddy" strap when swinging the large coil. Allow easy disconnect when recovering a target.

It is amazing the signals it will pull out with a swing of maybe 3 INCHES! Just a wiggle swing. Superior target separation. Not to mention that it will show the other target at the same time....usually a triangle blue icon in the iron area (bottom right). It is not uncommon to know you are recovering 2 targets when you dig the plug.

As far as the Equinox goes I am sure it will have its place and might be the preferred machine for a lot of people but it is hard for me to imagine it as a replacement for the CTX. Time will tell its capabilities.

Attachments

• 102_2395.JPG
    102_2395.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 266

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IDXMonster is spot on. I use the 17" until I get into an area with a lot of signals. Then drop down to the 11" and go SLOW. I use the "buddy" strap when swinging the large coil. Allow easy disconnect when recovering a target.

It is amazing the signals it will pull out with a swing of maybe 3 INCHES! Just a wiggle swing. Superior target separation. Not to mention that it will show the other target at the same time....usually a triangle blue icon in the iron area (bottom right). It is not uncommon to know you are recovering 2 targets when you dig the plug.

As far as the Equinox goes I am sure it will have its place and might be the preferred machine for a lot of people but it is hard for me to imagine it as a replacement for the CTX. Time will tell its capabilities.

Hey TC! Do you have your sling attached way down low or did it slip down there? If it's there all the time does it work well with it attached way lower than the factory mount points? I shouldn't have made it sound like the Pro-Swing is the final word,ANY sling is a huge help! Nice rig,looks VERY familiar!:occasion14:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only part of the sling I used was the part that goes over the shoulder. I took a small bungee cord and double wrapped around the lower shaft so it rests at the clamp when in use. That allows the machine to almost hang in the air when my arm is not in it.....still slightly top or lower heavy depending on the coil attached. The concept is to attach as close to the balance point as possible.

The "Buddy" lower attachment slips up the shaft hence the bungee. To the end of both the lower and upper straps I used the mountain clips and removed the clamp on one. That allows quick detachment when recovering a target. I used this system for a couple years now and really like it. A 30 dollar solution!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only part of the sling I used was the part that goes over the shoulder. I took a small bungee cord and double wrapped around the lower shaft so it rests at the clamp when in use. That allows the machine to almost hang in the air when my arm is not in it.....still slightly top or lower heavy depending on the coil attached. The concept is to attach as close to the balance point as possible.

The "Buddy" lower attachment slips up the shaft hence the bungee. To the end of both the lower and upper straps I used the mountain clips and removed the clamp on one. That allows quick detachment when recovering a target. I used this system for a couple years now and really like it. A 30 dollar solution!

Sounds like it works well,they sure do make a HELL of a difference in the operating weight of the machine. It's not terrible without a sling but I'd rather use one than not. I must be getting old...HA!:laughing7:

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is this the machine we are communicating about ? The one in your picture? Can you post pics here? AgainThank you

Waterscoop

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Waterscoopp - the CTX is an absolute dream - I have had mine now for 5 years - The best advice I could give you is if you buy the CTX - you must get Andy Sabisch"s book on the CTX - It is an absolute goldmine when it comes to the learning curve for the CTX - Hunting in the combined mode is great - I almost always use Gonehunting's combined mode settings for my area. Happy hunting

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some say there is a big learning curve for the ctx. I personally thought it was the easiest high
performance machine there is to learn. It gives accurate tones, IDs and consistent performance like no other. Makes everything click. Like said above I recommend folks run combined and 4 tones.

On the silver tone that the etrac "makes" well I have not seen it. I have had a bet with a couple friends who claimed they could tell the difference. The moment we got in the test garden though they could call the coins :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions