How to store Excal for the winter?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Store Excal inside away from the heat, never store in a location that gets hot, it dries out the o-rings and can damage the cables due to the heat.

Give it a hot shower or bath, hot water washes off the salt residue a lot better than cold water, (should wash it in hot water after each use anyway)

Spray all cables with a vegetable based silicone spray like McNett Silicone Spray, ( should spray cables after every 3-5 hunts to begin with, silicone protects cables from UV rays from the sun.)

Charge battery. Should not need to charge it again if it is just over the winter.

Most o-rings are internal so you can't grease them with out taking it apart. O-rings should be changed out about every 2-3 years anyway.

DONT LOSE your charging adapter, they are $75 to replace.

OP
OP
eathabs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks much TH!!
habs

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Store it for the winter?? :icon_scratch: The winter can be the best time to use it! :icon_thumright:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Store it for the winter?? :icon_scratch: The winter can be the best time to use it! :icon_thumright:

In CA/FLA, maybe so.
North east, not so much so.
I detect into the 30's, so long as the ground isn't frozen. When it gets to the teens and single digits is when I hang it up for the year.
Thats land, pretty sure my water days are over for 2017.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, I'm Mid North East and there are several advantages. First It keeps most of the other pirates indoors, by far some of the best low tides, Killer Northeasters and some of the best sand movements of the year. I know several hunters in Mass, Conn and RI who tuff some hard core cold just to be out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions