Replacement Coil Ideas for Sovereign XS-2a Pro

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My original 10" DD coil is looking shabby - outer wire casing breaking all apart exposing interior wires. I've taped it all up and still continues to work, but I think its time to look at a replacement. Anyone have any experience with some of the replacements available? Suggestions for good ones and comments on ones to stay away from? Many thanks for any input.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With having an E-trac and Excalibur, do you really want to invest money into the Sovereign? Not that it's a bad machine, in fact, it's still a very good machine, but, the other you have are better IMO. The Sovereign is a BBS machines and should share coils with other BBS machines, including the Excalibur, if you can get a connector and wiring color code and pin diagram. I've been very happy with Coiltek and NEL coils for the BBS machines. Depending on the type of detecting you do, you'll need to decide on size. Large coils for big fields and beaches, small coils for trashy areas, something in between for general turf hunting.

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son uses the E-Trac, I use the Sovereign, and we share the Excalibur for the water. I've been lucky - its been a fun family sport. I like the Sovereign on land over the Excalibur even though they are supposed to be essentially the same machine. Your point is well taken on whether it makes any sense to invest any money in it. I'll look at the Coiltek and Nel and watch for a good price on a used one should this coil die. Thanks for the input.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya want to save the old coil? If so wrap it with good monofiliment fishing line about every half inch on your winds and tie it off tight. Then spray the coil with pick up bed liner spray and let it dry.

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like that would work pretty well. Thanks for the advice.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son uses the E-Trac, I use the Sovereign, and we share the Excalibur for the water. I've been lucky - its been a fun family sport. I like the Sovereign on land over the Excalibur even though they are supposed to be essentially the same machine. Your point is well taken on whether it makes any sense to invest any money in it. I'll look at the Coiltek and Nel and watch for a good price on a used one should this coil die. Thanks for the input.

That makes sense. I didn't realize more than one person was using your gear. The Sov is a bit dated but still a good machine. I'd be looking for a good used coil if it were me.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This brings up an excellent point. I’ve found that my Sovereign out performed my Excal by a hair. Seemed far more sensitive and quicker to reset/recover than my Excal. IMHO

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Just replace the cable if your handy. I still have my XS2 but use the Excalibur now for I hunt in the water only.

OBN0050.jpg OBN0049.jpg

McMaster Carr OBN0013.jpg OBN0013.jpg

And the heyco 3237 strain relief can be got at Mouser

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the advice. Plenty of great ideas.

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
I have several Solverigns and couple brands of coils. I was able to score an original coiltek coil and am no longer using the sunray 12. I know this thread is a few months old but I would be willing to let it go if you are interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread