Coal scrip found

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Went out today with the etrac today. Came away with a good piece of scrip, the best one in terms of condition i have ever found. 20171216_152923_HDR-1.jpg 20171216_152802_HDR-1.jpg

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great piece! I love the things you can find at the old coal towns. A script token from a local coal town is high on my list. It is in fantastic condition! I bet it sounded nice on the extrac. Congrats!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a very good find! I won't be thinking you'll get rid of that one!

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
That is a great piece! I love the things you can find at the old coal towns. A script token from a local coal town is high on my list. It is in fantastic condition! I bet it sounded nice on the extrac. Congrats!
Thanks. It wasnt all that deep, about 4 inches down, it came in around 12 42. I thought from the sound and the numbers it would be a wheat penny. I went looking for silver as I was detecting an old tavern site, no luck with the silver. But the script was a welcome surprise, haven't found one in awhile.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That script is a more rare find than silver I would say.....very nice!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done! 🙌

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Omar, WV per the Edkins Catalog of US Coal Company scrip, catalgo number WV2123E1b. And it is scrip, not script.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
M

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Omar, WV per the Edkins Catalog of US Coal Company scrip, catalgo number WV2123E1b. And it is scrip, not script.
John in the Great 208
Thanks for clarifying. I typed it correctly in the subject line, my phone autocorrects and me being lazy didn't go back and change it.

It was actually found in a little community close to Omar where an old tavern site used to be. I know of places where it is rumored that coal companies buried bags of it when it was no longer in use. But it was buried so deep you would need a backhoe to get to it, as well as permission. The places have houses on the land as well. Lots of places in my neck of the woods where houses once stood and all that's left is wooded areas now. those places produce scrip, as well as some early 20th century bottles, silver, and other goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread