E-Trac for coin detecting??

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it true the E-TRAC is not a good coin detecting detector? I read a lot of pro & cons on using it for a coin detector except for silver coins. I do mostly coin and jewelry detecting and maybe some gold nugget from time to time but not to much. Usually hunt mostly in parks, picnic grounds, schools, camp grounds, lakes, forests etc. Feedback appreciated Thanks

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the one I use for coin and jewelry on land. I've been using it for many years now with great success......in fact, the last two years, I've been "Detector of the Year" in our local club, so, I must be doing something right! :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it true the E-TRAC is not a good coin detecting detector?

Where did you read that? On the XP forum? Maybe on the Whites forum?

The E-trac is one of the best coin detectors you can buy. The only better one is the CTX, and I have used both.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have the E-trac...its a killer machine with two drawbacks...its super slow at recovery speed meaning you have to go at a snails pace while detecting and its nose heavy making it very uncomfortable to swing after only a couple hours or less. personally i can live with the slow recovery speed given its accuracy in identifying coins but the balance issue is something i can't deal with.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I had an Etrac for about 5 years and it was great on coins and all but the smallest gold rings, earrings, chains. You mention gold nuggets, probably going to walk over it with an Etrac unless pretty large. Otherwise I would recommend an Etrac to just about anyone.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is a coin magnet. Silver, clad, shallow, deep...doesn't matter. And as far as small items? Let me show u the handful of tiny track shoe spikes I've found at 6-8" that sounds off like dimes n quarters! 😁

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one of the best coin detectors you can buy. Only a few are in it's league.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Above quote "The E-trac is one of the best coin detectors you can buy. The only better one is the CTX, and I have used both." DIDDO...

I still have both and they are amazing coin machines. The CTX is in a league all by itself.

You cant go wrong with the Etrac.

Gary from Oregon

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
The etrac is a coin killer, including nickels. Some say it has trouble finding nickels. It finds them with ease for me. Foil or pull tabs that come in where nickels do have a change in pitch a little, where a nickel has the same time with no change. Killer coin machine.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The etrac is a coin killer, including nickels. Some say it has trouble finding nickels. It finds them with ease for me. Foil or pull tabs that come in where nickels do have a change in pitch a little, where a nickel has the same time with no change. Killer coin machine.

Exactly. Traded mine a few years back but every time I look at the clock and it is 12:13 I still think nickel!
What I want to know is who/where/how did the OP hear the Etrac was not good for coin detecting?

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly. Traded mine a few years back but every time I look at the clock and it is 12:13 I still think nickel!
What I want to know is who/where/how did the OP hear the Etrac was not good for coin detecting?
Hahaha! 12-13. 😂 Spot on, for sure.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
13:46 is always my favorite time!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm partial to 01-44's myself!.....not that I get many of those! :icon_thumleft:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know, right? NO offense intended to the OP, but when I read the first sentence, my first thought was, OK, ha ha, he's joking. Then, when I read the rest of the post, I realized he wasn't joking. So, my next thought was, WHO told him/her THAT???

Steve

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
12-13 with it's very distinctive sound.. You can't miss it once you heard it one time

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
12-13 with it's very distinctive sound.. You can't miss it once you heard it one time

12-13 gets me beavertails more times these days than a nickel. I am surprised at nickels. Those danged curled up beavertails fool my Etrac. Only worse thing to fool me are the smashed screw caps, and DEEP too!.

Deep is desired for Etrac users.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
12-13 gets me beavertails more times these days than a nickel. I am surprised at nickels. Those danged curled up beavertails fool my Etrac. Only worse thing to fool me are the smashed screw caps, and DEEP too!.

Deep is desired for Etrac users.
If a nickel is 4 inches or less, I can tell its a nickel before digging it 90 % of the time just by the combination of sound and numbers. All bets are off after that as the sound won't be as clean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread