Equanox Battery ??????

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at the 600 series detector. I have a problem with the battery in as far if it goes bad or needs to be replaced you can not do it yourself. You must send it back to Minelab and they have to it. You can not replace it is in the handle of the detector. For me this is an oversight I do not understand why they would build it that way. I have read several times sending something but to them takes time to get it back. What are your thoughts on this battery placement? Thanks Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can strap on a battery power supply like for cell phones and it can run off of that while it charges so no reason it want run off it with a dead battery. I personally have no issue and Minelab has said they have not decided yet if they will require it be sent in or allow customers to change it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried researching this? Its been discussed since the info was released months ago.

Its a waterproof design. The CTX showed the failure of trying to have an unsealed battery compartment on a waterproof detector. User or factory replaced info hasnt been released yet. The problems you read about long repair times was with the KellyCo repair center. ML has moved the repair center to PA and almost all repairs are completed the same day they receive it. The only real time involved is the time to ship it there and back.

My thoughts are that battery problems are rare. Yes they happen, but the vast majority are fine and last many years problem free. You can also use any USB power pack to power your detector if you happen to forget to charge it before you go hunting.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand the trepidation for those who don't have routine detecting experience with this. But honestly, it is much ado about nothing if you have dealt with it. Haven't had an issue with the Deus and I am dealing with 3 non-replaceable batteries. Never an issue because they can be quickly juiced in a pinch if I forget to charge them and have never had an issue running out of juice during an all day detecting session if appropriately charged beforehand (all about making sure the night before that you have made the appropriate pre-hunt preps). Most high end phones don't have user replaceable batteries now primarily because this makes them easier to meet environmental requirements as discussed above. Their charge capacity and service longevity measured in years even with daily charging regimens make this a relative non-issue.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread