GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question,

X-Terra 305, 505, 705 can all take the same 7.5khz coil. Lets say we set all three models up with the same 15" optional 7.5khz coil, will they all detect to the same depth all things being equal? I'm aware they give up certain settings as you go down the line, but do they also pull depth/power/sensitivity out of it to justify higher prices? Lets say i'm out in a clean field and the 705 finds a quarter at 12", would the 305 with the same coil have detected it equally well? I realize the 705 my have better features to discriminate in trashy areas or deal with mineralized soil etc, but how about just raw depth in "clean" detecting areas?

Curious if anyone has any experience with this?

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think all things equal, depth should be the same. I had a 305 and hunted with a guy with 705 and seemed same to us though we never did tests other than comparing signals in the field.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should all detect the same depth +/- the miniscule variances (electronic tolerances)in the electronics on the motherboard if all other options (sensitivity, coil, settings ect) are the same. The difference in them is the programs and the available frequencies that can be used. 305 can only use 7.5 and 18 khz coils, 505 and 705 can use 3, 7.5 and 18.75 khz coils.

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply's. Heres the deal, I sold my Garrett AT Pro here this winter(in my soil conditions, in Pro Mode, all metal, no discrimination, full sensitivity, 6-7" was really the outer limit on a quarter with the stock coil, as I buried and tried several). This summer, I plan to detect several remote sites that haven't been used since the 1800's, so its a scenario where there won't be a lot of modern trash(save the occasional bullet casing and shotgun shell) so i'll be digging most targets. The sites are also on flood plains and fields in soft soil with freeze/thaw cycles up here in the north which really sinks the targets, so depth is a concern (silt accumulation, tilling etc).

By all accounts, i'm not wealthy and very limited on budget. I was looking at the X-Terra series and was surprised to see the X-Terrra 305 listed for 250 with free shipping at several retailers on ebay. Throw in the Minelab 7.5khz 15" coil for 200 and we are only at 450. If it hits the same depth as the 705 with the same coil, it sure could fit my niche detecting sites this summer on a budget. Maybe you have some other recommendations for maximum depth on a budget? I'm definitely looking at used Fisher CZ's with the 10.5" coil as they are famous for depth. Any others?

Last edited:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What is the Fisher F75 going for these days? New maybe over $500? That should be some good depth for the price.

[h=1]TEKNETICS T2?[/h]

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply's. Heres the deal, I sold my Garrett AT Pro here this winter(in my soil conditions, in Pro Mode, all metal, no discrimination, full sensitivity, 6-7" was really the outer limit on a quarter with the stock coil, as I buried and tried several). This summer, I plan to detect several remote sites that haven't been used since the 1800's, so its a scenario where there won't be a lot of modern trash(save the occasional bullet casing and shotgun shell) so i'll be digging most targets. The sites are also on flood plains and fields in soft soil with freeze/thaw cycles up here in the north which really sinks the targets, so depth is a concern (silt accumulation, tilling etc).

By all accounts, i'm not wealthy and very limited on budget. I was looking at the X-Terra series and was surprised to see the X-Terrra 305 listed for 250 with free shipping at several retailers on ebay. Throw in the Minelab 7.5khz 15" coil for 200 and we are only at 450. If it hits the same depth as the 705 with the same coil, it sure could fit my niche detecting sites this summer on a budget. Maybe you have some other recommendations for maximum depth on a budget? I'm definitely looking at used Fisher CZ's with the 10.5" coil as they are famous for depth. Any others?

What is your max budget and what type of hunting are you wanting to do?

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your max budget and what type of hunting are you wanting to do?
500 is the outer max. I received 400 for my used AT Pro. Coins primarily is the desired target. Conditions of the hunting ground are posted in my prior post.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I also have the AT PRO but vary seldom ever use it for the same reasons you stated while living in Ohio I owned a house which was on 3/4 of an acre of land I purchased two detectors the AT PRO and the XTERRA 705 one for wife and one for myself, I would work behind her while she was using the AT PRO so we would go over the same areas with both detectors what I found was the targets that were deep 7 inches and deeper the AT PRO would not see them I was getting targets like 1941 mercs down to 10 and 11 inches with the 705 where the AT PRO would not even give you a hit on the same target if you can swing the price for the 705 dual pack that would be the way I would go but if not then the standard 7.5 KHz 705 is also good I got lucky and picked up my 705 with three coils for a great price at the time I can not say enough about the 705 and have no experience with the 305 or 505 to comment on either of those two but the 705 is one of the most under rated detectors still to this day.

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the AT PRO but vary seldom ever use it for the same reasons you stated while living in Ohio I owned a house which was on 3/4 of an acre of land I purchased two detectors the AT PRO and the XTERRA 705 one for wife and one for myself, I would work behind her while she was using the AT PRO so we would go over the same areas with both detectors what I found was the targets that were deep 7 inches and deeper the AT PRO would not see them I was getting targets like 1941 mercs down to 10 and 11 inches with the 705 where the AT PRO would not even give you a hit on the same target if you can swing the price for the 705 dual pack that would be the way I would go but if not then the standard 7.5 KHz 705 is also good I got lucky and picked up my 705 with three coils for a great price at the time I can not say enough about the 705 and have no experience with the 305 or 505 to comment on either of those two but the 705 is one of the most under rated detectors still to this day.

I know its a bit of bias confirmation on my part, but your findings on the AT PRO are identical to mine. Depth (as in lack there of) was a serious issue with that machine. Good to hear about your 705, now the question is, will the 305 hit the same depth with the same coil out in some clean soil. Did minelab just hold back the features on the 305 and 505 compared to the 705, or did they "de-tune" its depth capability (less power/sensitivity?) .

Heres the specifications comparison of the 305,505,705:

https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-d...pare&product1=2580&product2=3993&product3=722

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know its a bit of bias confirmation on my part, but your findings on the AT PRO are identical to mine. Depth (as in lack there of) was a serious issue with that machine. Good to hear about your 705, now the question is, will the 305 hit the same depth with the same coil out in some clean soil. Did minelab just hold back the features on the 305 and 505 compared to the 705, or did they "de-tune" its depth capability (less power/sensitivity?) .

Heres the specifications comparison of the 305,505,705:

https://www.minelab.com/usa/metal-d...pare&product1=2580&product2=3993&product3=722

I would say based on what I just read from the link you provided you should get a little more depth with the 705 because of the sensitivity settings and

Sensitivity Adjust
Adjustable (1 to 10). 305
Adjustable (1 to 20) 505
Adjustable (1 to 30) 705

Ground Balance
Manual adjustment 0 to 20. 305
Manual adjustment 0 to 50 505
Manual 1 to 90, Automatic, Beach, Tracking & Tracking Offset 705

Based on those two things rite there but not really sure as I stated I have never used a 305 or a 505

Those are the only two things other than the obvious that appear to be hugely different which to me would tell me the 705 should see significant depth differences. but still with no experience with the 305 and 505 it is unknown to me

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say based on what I just read from the link you provided you should get a little more depth with the 705 because of the sensitivity settings and

Sensitivity Adjust
Adjustable (1 to 20) 505
Adjustable (1 to 30) 705

Ground Balance

Based on those two things rite there but not really sure as I stated I have never used a 305 or a 505

I have used all 3 and never seen any real depth difference between them.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sensitivity Adjust
Adjustable (1 to 20) 505
Adjustable (1 to 30) 705

Ground Balance

Those are the only two things other than the obvious that appear to be hugely different which to me would tell me the 705 should see significant depth differences.

I see those stats, but does that just mean more resolution between segments, not total sensitivity? For example, 305 sensitivity, 1 to 10 adjustable. Whereas 705, 1 to 30 adjustable, but does that mean the 705 is 3 times the sensitivity or merely their max are the same but with more fine incremental tuning with the 30 segments?

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only way you would ever find out the answer to your question is to go to a store that has all three and see if they would show you in a test plot with targets buried at different depths then you would know for sure

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to the minelab site and download Randy Horton's E BOOK Understanding your X TERRA it is vary informative on all the X Terra's it explains a lot of the differences between the three and its free to download once you sign up on the minelab site

OP
OP
GoDeep

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the minelab site and download Randy Horton's E BOOK Understanding your X TERRA it is vary informative on all the X Terra's it explains a lot of the differences between the three and its free to download once you sign up on the minelab site

I'll download it and check it out! Thanks!

I found a video of a X-terra 305 with a 6" 18.75khz coil being compared with an E-Trac with a 6" coil (frequency not specified) and they both detect the same dime at reported depth of 6-7". No idea if both coils were same frequency however. Not a 305 to 705 comparison (I can't find any), but it does show raw depth all things being somewhat equal may be equivalent:

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're looking for raw depth in a trash-free area and are going to dig everything, get a PI machine. You should be able to find a used Sand Shark or Sea Hunter in your price range.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark has a great idea there. The PI's dig everything, so if you are at a house site, forget it unless you want to dig every piece of iron on the property. Some people tell me they can tell which items are iron with a PI machine, but I never could when using my Whites PI, but I was watching a guy a year ago with a very pricey Minelab and he had about 15 Civil War items and about 10 pounds of small iron trash, mainly nails. I can't do nails. That many junk targets and I'd probably break myself.

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look around I have seen a lot of 70's and 705's cheep lately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread