Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch --

WAIT. Let me see if I am hearing you correctly; I haven't "seen you around" lately, on the sites I frequent. Are you saying that the DEUS has replaced your Explorer?? WOW!!! I am shocked!

And it sounds like you are/have considered a CTX, and have at least a tiny bit of interest in the Equinox -- but will probably just stick with the Deus?

Wow!

Steve

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give it a few months in the real world of people like us. Until then I'm sticking to my E-Trac. If I bought every new thing that came out I'll be broke. If it performs as good as my E-Trac or better I will buy it. I like the ideal of a Lite machine that I can swing all day. I can swing the E-trac all day long but feel the weight at the end of the day.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junkironkid, I just bought a new Tesoro Vaquero. It goes REALLY deep and has a dual discrimination circuit on it. I have had one before, so no learning curve. If a new machine comes on the market and I'm interested, I do not look before I leap, but wait. A lot of folks who buy on hype (I would never do that...more than a few times of course), well, we sell the turkeys in the next few months after purchase. There will also be used machines of any brand a few months after introduction for one reason or another.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have watched alot of videos on the nox thus far, and it looks pretty good. I seen it compared to an at pro and a deus, and in this particular video, it was neck and neck with the deus. The advantage it has over the deus though is it is waterproof. Do a search on YouTube where these three are compared. I wasn't too sure about it until i seen this video. It changed my mind.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen a real life video on the Equinox yet. When I say real life, I mean in ground with iron in it, especially groups of nails and larger items, wadded up aluminum foil, cut pieces of aluminum cans, I was an expert crunching them at my house with a lawn mower, very mineralized dirt with hot rocks and such. Planted coins with no trash and air tests don't give a good picture of ANY machine's capability. Real live tests are what is needed. And a video is not absolutely necessary, I'd take someone's word for what they did.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with some others who think they designed it to punch through the AT Pro market. I have a hard time believing it would replace any of their high end machines. It should sell very well. And like every other machine out there, some will like it, some will love it and some will dump it later in the year. That's just the way it is.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have not seen a real life video on the Equinox yet. When I say real life, I mean in ground with iron in it, especially groups of nails and larger items, wadded up aluminum foil, cut pieces of aluminum cans, I was an expert crunching them at my house with a lawn mower, very mineralized dirt with hot rocks and such. Planted coins with no trash and air tests don't give a good picture of ANY machine's capability. Real live tests are what is needed. And a video is not absolutely necessary, I'd take someone's word for what they did.
Dirtfishing has done a video in a trashy park showing its recovery speed. While he doesn't find anything extraordinary, it shows its capability to find targets in amongst trash. He does a pretty good job of real life scenarios. This might be something that would interest you if you haven't already seen it.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

this one may be what you are wanting, Or at least heading that direction

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll test it on the worst spot on earth. People there use GPX 4000 and 5000's which are PI machines because the dirt is so bad. So when I say it's bad, it's bad. Most vlf machines don't do well there. My best use in the dirt has been the XP Deus and the Tesoro Vaquero with the big loop. My buddy's Excalibur couldn't find a thing, he also has a CTX I think 3030? Not sure, but it got squat, and the AT Pros at my spot have been useless. Only 30 more days for the big cat's test.

Last edited:

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maybe with lower recovery speed it will go deeper...

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I think Minelab is aiming the Equinox at hobbyists who want high end, but cant afford the CTX.
It seems to be the CTX without its most expensive features.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I honestly believe you'll see a sell off going the other way in 12 to 24 months, there's no way either 600 or 800 is that durable. I had one and can say from experience, go fully submerge it in water and see how much the handle flexes. The machine is so light it feels cheap. I understand Minelab has gone all out for the new customer repair facility and I hope it is true, because I flashed back to my Etrac handle issues (That Minelab would not warranty cover) and when comparing the Eq 800 to the Etrac, the Etrac has a considerably more solid feel to it. The Etrac though slower still performs slightly better and I really could not see anyone who has any time on a CTX dumping that for either equinox.
Stay Gold!
Opie

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A final word, I'm getting so blasted old I've probably bought my last machine. I sold off some others, now back to two.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Minelab is aiming the Equinox at hobbyists who want high end, but cant afford the CTX.
It seems to be the CTX without its most expensive features.

It is fundamentally different than any FBS machine, and the beginning of an entirely different line. FBS machines will likely stick around for the foreseeable future, but they will have a Multi-IQ counterpart. You'll likely see an E-trac level machine based on Multi-IQ, and a CTX level machine based on Multi-IQ. The Equinox is akin to the Safari in terms of features and where it will place in the multi-IQ hierarchy.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox will send a Ctx 3030 crying to mommy in a dense layer of trash. I've hunted next to them and wasn't impressed. Perhaps a different site might show different results.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bklein, I just noticed I never responded to you. Yes, I sold both Tejons and the Vaqueros and my Nox 600.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread