CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
217BE6F1-E5FF-404F-AF6A-50AA7E0502B2.jpeg 9532F324-1C33-4DEC-BAFF-31BE61112EC0.jpeg

I always check Craigslist under metal detectors and sometimes find cool stuff.
I’ve noticed a pattern lately. CTX machines are being listed at a far greater rate then during the last 2 years. Like none listed 1/2017 - 11/2017 but numerous listed after the Equinox announcement last September and they keep listing and listing....

I hope those owners dont think they could replace the CTX with the new Equinox.

I GUESS HYPE IS SO POWERFUL it even replaces proven common sense.

Cheers

A61687F5-68B0-4D9E-A785-FA0ECD17AF78.jpeg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are interpreting the wrong way. The more popular and bigger seller a detector is, the more you will see for sale. If there's 10,000 of one out there, and 1,000 of the other, it doesn't matter how much better the 10,000 is, you'll still see more for sale. What you are seeing is probably the result of more people owning the CTX.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterscoop, you are 100% correct. I watched some Equinox videos on youtube today, and frankly wasn't impressed much. I know, I know, everybody who does videos wants to be first to put one up with the new machine. They need to take a deep breath. Please, no air tests, please, no concrete tests, these may be fine for newbies, but for people who have detected a long time and are seriously thinking about getting one, we need to see real life condition live digs. Must have live digs in trashy and iron infested areas.

One salt water use was a good video. Not definitive. But a nice idea of what it sounds like. People who are selling their 3030's may be trying to get them back soon. It's one heck of a good unit.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a quick check on Craigslist here in my area. No 3030's available. I did find a Minelab x-Terra 705 but it looks like its a closet queen.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a single 3030 listed on Craigslist Orlando.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People sell off in winter months too I wouldn't read to much into it and for some people the TAX man is calling.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Barely used, just used in the backyard.
These ads have "I bought the best and wasn't thinking"
Bought into the hype.
Had to have the next best widget on the market.
Was going to find that treasure.
Broke.
No sell off here, just a correction in thinking.
Some buy and sell their equipment so often it makes one's head spin.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of truth in your post pepperj, same will happen with the Equinox. Maybe quite a few used by April 15.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt any CTX user actually thinks Minelab is putting out a better detector that cost 1/3 of the price. That said, I sure hope it's the case as I'll sell my Explorer and 3 coils and get an Equinox for backup.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron patch, if any current Minelab users think the Equinox will do a smack down on the CTX, they need a nap! Biggest advantage of the Equinox is it's not as heavy as a M1A1 Abrams tank. You are correct.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also watched some videos on the Equinox and was not that impressed. I did not think the display gives you enough numbers to accurately discriminate using the display. It reminded me of the Xterra 505 compared to the 705. I did not like the limited numbers on the 505. I know that you should use tones vs display but it is nice to have a display that is accurate. I can't see anyone wanting to trade the CTX 3030 for the Equinox. If I still had my Etrac, I certainly would not trade it for the Equinox unless I needed a water machine. I think Minelab should be applauded for making somewhat affordable multi-frequency machines but I won't be buying one. I would much rather pay the same money or less for a used Etrac.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do love MM, thanks for the pic

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sell off is the AT Pro for the AT Max from what I've been seeing.

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have seen that as well...however I also see that sell off as a result of the Equinox as well. I actually called a couple of listings to ask why they were selling their ATP and they flat out said:” To get the Equinox”

2D20E2CB-1DEC-49BD-B9A9-6FC438DA18B8.jpeg

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Same here but jeez! They're no doubt the Jeep Wrangler of the detecting world. Suckers hold their value that's for sure.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Sell my etrac? Not just yet. Proof is in the pudding, and I haven't seen enough pudding in the equinox to determine its flavor yet. Now, when I see a head to head matchup of it and established machines, and it does well against them, then I will believe the hype. I am optimistic because I choose to be and I am hoping it is a winner, but until it is in the field in the hands of your every day metal detectorist using it, we aren't going to know how it stacks up against the ctx and the etrac, among others.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari and I will do a side by side dig at a hunted out spot in the Va horrid red dirt after he has his machine, and has had time to play with it. We'll let you know but it will probably be a month from now.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's no doubt true as it's clearly the target market Minelab has in mind. That being said, I went from a Garrett to an Explorer and it definitely took some time to get used to, and I seen many from other brands try to make that switch and dislike it. So I think it's far from a given everyone who is using a Minelab for the first time will like it. It's a fast responding detector, but I'm sure there will be some who still prefer the high sharp tones that other detectors have. That's actually the reason I do not think it will be as good as the Deus in iron. Different guts, but a super fast Minelab when detecting in my mind is more of a mess in iron than good. Now will that be reality, I have no idea, but a friend of mine is getting one so I hope we get out to test a few signals. This is the most I've probably talked about detectors in the past decade - really no interest anymore, and this doesn't change anything. If you were new and reading all the threads you'd never know it's actually about the sites, and I guess you can even start to question some who have been around a while, because no new detector is going to make much of a difference. It's more just finding your preference and that's really not that exciting. I recently converted to a Deus, like it very much, but it's still the finds and sites that get me fired up! But I guess if a new detector makes someone happy then I guess talk a lot about it and enjoy.... but just don't forget what counts if you actually want to find good stuff. :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch, I think you are correct. On two of my best sites, the iron is so thick, there can be 2-5 pieces under a 5" coil at the same time. The way the Minelab's tones are, I have the gut feeling it will be useless there, multitone or not, it will just start singing and never stop. I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch, I think you are correct. On two of my best sites, the iron is so thick, there can be 2-5 pieces under a 5" coil at the same time. The way the Minelab's tones are, I have the gut feeling it will be useless there, multitone or not, it will just start singing and never stop. I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

When using a Minelab in iron it has never been about fast recovery and separation, because if that was the case it would be one of the worst detectors out there, but if you know how to use it, it's actually quite good in iron. You hunt iron doing the Minelab 'wiggle" and you listen for the non iron target to break through. I'm sure technically it's still separation, but is different because you can't get away with talking a full normal speed swing through iron as much as you can with a Deus or other very fast responding detectors. So watching the Equinox and hearing the familiar Minelab tones, and it being a very fast responding detector, to me it seems like it would be in the middle... would not be able to interpret all the info. like the slower recovery Minelabs, but doesn't have the sharp high tone audio to rely on recovery speed alone. To me it's a detector that looks great on paper but will not come close to living up to the hype. Will it be good, I'm sure it will. Will most who buys one say it's the best, always do! I was about to say it's only time that will tell, but that's not really true, the story will only be told if you buy one and try it. I always heard great things about the Deus, but it wasn't what people said that made me buy one and eventually switch, it was watching videos and hearing the sounds and how the detector reacted in iron that made me believe there was something to it. I do not see that with the Equinox, at least yet, but in fairness I don't see it in the CTX either, and over the last year I've become a bigger believer in that detector. Ironically it was using the Deus that made me see what I was missing with the Explorer and a friend with the CTX was getting. If I had it to do over I would seriously consider getting the CTX as it would have aloud me to only have one detector, but I do love the Deus and it has served me well, so no need to revisit that decision. Again, I hope the Equinox rocks and I can sell my Explorer and have a nice light multi freq. back up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread