Multi frequency question

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting for over 20 years but live paycheck to paycheck so never had a higher end detector. I have a tesoro silver umax now, which is a great little unit. It has taken 5 years but have saved up around $750 and would like a an all around and waterproof unit. Waterproof to open new search areas. I have my eye on the new Equinox 600 and the Whites mx sport. Sorry but for me the At pro is not a choice. My question is, is multi frequency really such a great thing? I have found tiny things and deep things with other units and multi still seems to call gold and nickels pull tabs.. I'm equally excited about both units just trying to learn The real difference in multi. I mostly coin / jewlery and relic hunt .

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the jury is still out on the Equinox from what I am reading and seeing. You might give it a little time to see what happens with it before you buy. As for the White's, it's been out for a while now and seems like everyone that has it is very satisfied. I run a White's V3i in multifrequency most of the time. I think the main difference is the ability to discriminate targets a little better than with a single frequency machine. I have found some really small stuff really deep also. One instance is a silver earing stud at 6" below square nails. I couldn't believe it. Most detectors wouldn't have even seen it. In the end most machines in that price range are going to give you a lot of bang for your buck. It all comes down to what you want personally. Me, I am a White's fan through and through. I have an AT Max and use it a lot, but when I am really serious about a spot I always go back to the V3i. Good Luck, even though I probably didn't help much.

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the jury is still out on the Equinox from what I am reading and seeing. You might give it a little time to see what happens with it before you buy. As for the White's, it's been out for a while now and seems like everyone that has it is very satisfied. I run a White's V3i in multifrequency most of the time. I think the main difference is the ability to discriminate targets a little better than with a single frequency machine. I have found some really small stuff really deep also. One instance is a silver earing stud at 6" below square nails. I couldn't believe it. Most detectors wouldn't have even seen it. In the end most machines in that price range are going to give you a lot of bang for your buck. It all comes down to what you want personally. Me, I am a White's fan through and through. I have an AT Max and use it a lot, but when I am really serious about a spot I always go back to the V3i. Good Luck, even though I probably didn't help much.
Your info helps better discrimination is a good thing. I am also a whites fan. I had a whites classic beep and dig and did very well with it. I was looking for a used whites vx3 but haven't found one in my price range.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been very happy with my sport. It is a great machine. But I too wonder about the multifrequency of equinox. Im giving it 6 months to a year to work out the details before I decide if I will buy one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you hold off a little longer and wait and see what the owner reviews are for the Minelab Equinox and the Nokta Kruzer. I do know the equinox had no problem seeing a tiny gold chain I buried about 4 inches to test and there is also a youtube video of the equinox seeing gold chain in salt water too.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES! Multi-frequency on the beach is the BOMB! I just got my Equinox 600, off the UPS truck, and I'll be on Jones Beach on Long Island tomorrow morning. It will be the first time out without my Sand Shark. The MX Sport is just another AT Pro (both single-freq). Get the Equinox!:occasion14:

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will wait for you guys to do most testing and reviews on the equinox since you 2 lucky dogs have yours already

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest you hold off a little longer and wait and see what the owner reviews are for the Minelab Equinox and the Nokta Kruzer. I do know the equinox had no problem seeing a tiny gold chain I buried about 4 inches to test and there is also a youtube video of the equinox seeing gold chain in salt water too.
What about the jumpy vdi numbers on your video did they jump around a lot or mostly on deeper targets like all detectors seem to do.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would wait unless you have an abundance of cash and afford a loss on any detector. I'm an expert at losing money on them. New toy comes out, I buy it, find it's not quite what I wanted, sell at a loss! I'm getting quite good at it. Wait till June. You'll know for sure and some people will buy on impulse and regret it, or have a medical or tax bill, and you should be able to get a used one this summer if you have the patience. I will do a head to head dig with a friend who is getting one. We should know how it works in about a month. We have a test site which is a bear to dig, so the test will be very valid. If it whoops my Deus, I'll get one, but I don't buy on hype anymore. Until next time, that is.:laughing7:

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would wait unless you have an abundance of cash and afford a loss on any detector. I'm an expert at losing money on them. New toy comes out, I buy it, find it's not quite what I wanted, sell at a loss! I'm getting quite good at it. Wait till June. You'll know for sure and some people will buy on impulse and regret it, or have a medical or tax bill, and you should be able to get a used one this summer if you have the patience. I will do a head to head dig with a friend who is getting one. We should know how it works in about a month. We have a test site which is a bear to dig, so the test will be very valid. If it whoops my Deus, I'll get one, but I don't buy on hype anymore. Until next time, that is.:laughing7:
Well I did just see that the dues lite would be a do able purchase if a pulled a few strings

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to the Cat this time Rick...Multi freq is known to be good at the beach,the Equinox may even be better with its new technology. “May” is the operating word here. I’m not a beach hunter,I’m a deep silver turf hunter,so until THOSE videos come out of it cracking the 12-13” mark with ID good enough to make me dig,it’s up in the air. Being a “coin and jewelry” hunter encompasses a lot of stuff. In order to be successful at one or the other, you almost have to choose,because in all reality,they are two completely different things. Mindset is also totally different from coins to jewelry.

OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The beach is almost 2 hrs away in reality I would go maybe twice a year. I was thinking a waterproof unit to open up new sites when the opportunity came up. There are a few swimming holes by the rivers that are only a few feet deep. So hunts would be more fresh water than beach if that helps . Can the dues lite get wet? Except for the headphones of course

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they sell a waterproof kit for it for about $25. It consists of a waterproof case for the control box and a wire to attach to the coil as an antennae. Thing won't transmit well to the control unit under 6" or more of water without it. I have one and it does work. However, I only look at the splash line. I've seen too many people come out of the water here and have to be taken to the hospital by ambulance because they stepped on something horrible, like a lost knife, glass or fish hook. EEEuuuccckkk!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes they sell a waterproof kit for it for about $25. It consists of a waterproof case for the control box and a wire to attach to the coil as an antennae. Thing won't transmit well to the control unit under 6" or more of water without it. I have one and it does work. However, I only look at the splash line. I've seen too many people come out of the water here and have to be taken to the hospital by ambulance because they stepped on something horrible, like a lost knife, glass or fish hook. EEEuuuccckkk!
Your not helping my decision making lol now I need to look at the dues lite version.. it's do able but would have to get the remote box at a different time

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you need is the $25 kit. The remote box comes with the unit nothing else to buy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but they do the same thing. So just don't put your head underwater with it on and get the $25 kit.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents --

Get the Equinox 600. Minelab multi-frequency technology has a stellar reputation for stable ID, punching deep, handling tough ground (including saltwater beaches) well, and overall just being outstanding machines. Not that there aren't a plethora of good units out there, but for $649, you can have a brand-new Minelab multi-frequency unit, and not just multi, but their newest, most cutting-edge multi-frequency technology. YES, it will still ID some gold, and nickels, and some pull tabs in exactly the same way. ALL machines will, multi-frequency, or not. But I really think the Equinox 600, you will find, will do ALL things VERY well (coin hunt, relic hunt, jewelry hunt, beach hunt)...

Steve

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents --

Get the Equinox 600. Minelab multi-frequency technology has a stellar reputation for stable ID, punching deep, handling tough ground (including saltwater beaches) well, and overall just being outstanding machines. Not that there aren't a plethora of good units out there, but for $649, you can have a brand-new Minelab multi-frequency unit, and not just multi, but their newest, most cutting-edge multi-frequency technology. YES, it will still ID some gold, and nickels, and some pull tabs in exactly the same way. ALL machines will, multi-frequency, or not. But I really think the Equinox 600, you will find, will do ALL things VERY well (coin hunt, relic hunt, jewelry hunt, beach hunt)...

Steve

Yeah.....what he said. I have to agree with Steve, lot of bang for the buck the 600

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but they do the same thing. So just don't put your head underwater with it on and get the $25 kit.

I believe the puck has limited parameter adjustments', it won't let you adjust all the parameters like the remote will.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread