Stuck at a cross road between CTX 3030 and Excal II

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I really can't go in the water where I live since I'm along the treasure coast. I mainly hunt the beach and wet sand but hope to occasionally hunt dry land.

I have the opportunity to buy a used CTX with 2 years left of the warranty for the same price as a new Excal II.

Any advice with one over the other? I used to use my dads Excal 1000 probably 15 years ago. He still has it and just dropped it off at Kellyco to get completely redone and coil/headphone change and straight shaft. So he's going to be gettin back into the game to beach hunt with me. I don't know if I should jump on the CTX or pick up myself the Excal II when I pick up his...or should I wait to see what the Nox's are doing...:icon_scratch:???

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CTX and will be investing in a used Excalibur2 next week. I love the CTX on land and in the water but I also love having a 100% dedicated water machine that rocks even deeper then 10 ft.
They are two different machines even the tones they generate are totally different.

How much is the Excalibur2 you are interested in? I’m getting mine for $900 and they will throw in an awesome high end long handle scoop , short scoop, straight shaft, Garrett Carrot and Minelab Carybag.

I’m looking so much forward to getting it.

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
The Excal II new at Kellyco is 1500 bucks. I grew up using an Excal so I guess I'm trying to justify/talk myself into the CTX. I love having the threshold sound and listening for the subtle changes. BUT I'd also like to be able to search parks and maybe once a year (In Georgia) old home sites. I like how the Excal is built and I know it can be trusted, the things that worry me about the CTX are the Screen issues. The water seal doesn't bother me anymore after the updated seal.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your hunting needs, I would recommend the CTX over the Excal. More versatile, better balanced, and still waterproof. Now with the Equinox in the mix, I would wait a bit until more beach videos are available. It might be an even better choice.

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I keep missing great deals on used CTX’s on the forums. Eventually I’ll find a deal first haha

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
For your hunting needs, I would recommend the CTX over the Excal. More versatile, better balanced, and still waterproof. Now with the Equinox in the mix, I would wait a bit until more beach videos are available. It might be an even better choice.

Thank you, I really do like the CTX’s espeially after getting to hold one at kellyco. I guess I’m just fond of the Excalibur as growing up that’s what my dad used (and still does, he just dropped his off at kellyco for a full tune-up and new coil)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread