After much back and forth...decision made! Nox 800

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weeks of agonizing deliberation over a decision between the AT MAX, Equinox 600 and the 800 have finally come down to fruition.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the MAX just as all the Equinox information and hype started to really gel on the forums. I decided to hold off purchasing the MAX until I saw some real-world results from the Minelab's offerings. Floated between the MAX and the 600 primarily, but as more and more info came in about the REAL differences between the 600 and 800 started to come out, I levitated towards the 800, despite the significant difference in price. Desicions, decisions...

A few exceptional evaluators on this and other forums really helped me gel my final decision...along with Minelab's very generous military discount. So I will be adding the Equinox 800 to my MD inventory for about $50 more than the MAX would have cost me, and I feel that despite the significantly more difficult learning curve, the 800 will likely meet my expectations and needs for many moons to come. I'm #5 on the waiting list with my preferred dealer!

Keeping my GTI 2500 with all the coils, and especially the Treasure Hound "Eagle Eye" twin box coil system, but I expect that it will not be swinging except in rare situations in the future. Maybe my son will graduate from his ACE 300 to the GTI when he is big enough to swing it!

Thanks to all the folks here who have diligently expounded upon, and tested the Nox units. It made the decision much easier in the long run. I would expect that Garrett, with their new CEO, is likely to be putting some serious $$$ into R&D to come up with a viable competitor in the next couple of years, but in the meantime, my arm and shoulder will be sooooo much happier with the lightweight of the Nox!

Cheers!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post!

I don't know, from what I've seen, I don't think there's a significant learning curve with the EQ. I'm also waiting for an 800, and am currently using an AT. I've gotten used to the sounds of the AT, so I think right off the bat, I will have to get used to the sounds more then everything that could possibly be squeezed out of the EQ. Getting great reviews on the preset mode's. Learning curve with all machine's, but I don't think the EQ will have a significant learning curve.

Good call over the ATMAX. Gotta lot more machine for $50.:icon_thumright: Good Luck with it!

OP
OP
SittingElf

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our permanent home is in Florida along the Central East Coast (Space Coast). When there, I have tons of beaches to hunt. My wife is a Colonel in the Air Force and we move frequently. We have bases with recently demolished 1940's to 1960's homes that will be replaced with modern family housing. Those demolished areas are flush with pre-'64 coins and WWII relics! Currently at Eglin Air Force Base in the Florida Panhandle, we will be moving to Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City area for two years this summer, where my wife will be a very senior commander. Lots of ghost towns, old homesteads, and other relatively fresh pickings to hunt in day-driving distance from the base, as well as the base itself. The Nox will definitely be an advantage in the various soils and conditions we will encounter at our various geographical locations.
I've been pulling tons of wheaties out of the ground on our current base, and I expect that the Nox will be even more productive over the same ground once I have it in hand. Gotta find that silver!!!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT DECISION!

MULTI IQ Frequency is night and day difference vs the AT MAX.

I’m actually going to replace my AT Pro with the Nox 800 for my park hunting

Minelab will not disappoint you once you master it’s jibber jabber tones. I know what you mean when you say you got used to the AT Pro.. I see 87 I know I’m getting a quarter guaranteed...LOL

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your decision :icon_thumright:

Your gonna love it.

The EQ is super easy to learn , just turn it on select your mode and noise cancel , your good to go . I have found the default settings are great right off the bat . Then especially with the 800 you can make all kind of modifications to suit your needs. But there is really not much you have to do to make a great detector , it already is .
Have Fun!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goldstar 1, have you compared the your Gold Bug to the Equinox? Of course that would be in prospecting mode.................63bkpkr

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck....I hear you get smarter the second you take possession of an equinox. Or was it handsome,?

OP
OP
SittingElf

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sigh....still waiting for the paid up 800. Maybe next week, or the week after, or next month, or......

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sigh....still waiting for the paid up 800. Maybe next week, or the week after, or next month, or......

bad news bud....aliens blew up the minelab factory....looks like you will not be getting your equinox for a very long time...

OP
OP
SittingElf

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bad news bud....aliens blew up the minelab factory....looks like you will not be getting your equinox for a very long time...

Yeah, they were afraid we'd find their secret underground base with the power of the Nox! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions