Minelab SE question

notanothertodd

Aug 11, 2007
I bought an SE a few months ago and love it. One thing I don't understand is
that if becomes very unstable after the loop has not moved for
awhile. This usually happens after I have dug a target and start moving the
coil again. It sometimes takes a 30 seconds to a minute before it finally
settles down again. Kind of annoying. With my whites i could just pull the
trigger and reset it. Is there a way you can do this with the SE?

Thanks

P.S After using the DFX and the SE I am a convinced that the SE is by far
the winner. :P

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi - i might have seen this same problem

minelab sent out an email months ago about sand or dirt getting trapped in the coil cover and getting magnetized - this will cause the detector to "sound off" when the coil is not in motion. you can test this by standing in a clear area, turning your detector on and holding the coil in the air (again with no power lines or metal anywhere close) if the detector doesn't have that constant background "hum" sound and is making noise as if it were detecting small objects then you might have this "sand/dirt" problem.

if you haven't taken your cover off and cleaned out the dirt, i definately would, if it still does it after the cleaning, then call minelab, that definately isn't normal

i've found the stock coil to be VERY stable and quiet

take care and let us know how you make out

vp

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
A Minelab rep suggested to me the other day to take the cover off. Clean it up really good and then the coil, then apply caulk to the sides of the coil and put the cover back on and then caulk around the cover really good. She said that even the smallest amount of dirt can cause issues such as this.

Has anyone done this with their coil and cover? Do you recommend this solution? ???

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i'd probably never caulk mine, but i have cleaned it several times everytime i start to hear this chatter - and the rep is right, even a small amount of sand/dirt does this

hope this helps

vp

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i was wondering about not even useing the coil cover, but i guess they do save your coil from wear

OP
OP
N

notanothertodd

Aug 11, 2007
Hey thanks for the replies=). I'm currently not using a coil cover. When I was out the other day I saw a guy using a Minelab and so I stopped and talked with him a bit about this problem. He told me that his does it a times as well. One thing I think that has helped is that when I use the frequency cancel I hold the coil to the ground now. Before I was holding it at waste high like my White's. Also I turned down my gain quit a bit when I'm hunting real trashy areas. If all else fails I remove the battery for a few secounds. It still does it at times but it seems a lot better now. Thanks again.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a problem, it's only the matter of a second to reset under any condition. If you're new to the Explorer you might not realize the detector is not working properly. I have seen this on several occasions with newer users. Even if your detector airtests well doesn't necessarily mean it will be 100% when seeing targets in the ground.

Make sure you reset the thing once in a while, this could actually be a quick fix if it hasn't been tried . Dirt in the coil cover would most likely not be causing what you describe.

Sometimes a bad coil can seem good and bad. Tap your coil cable with your finger and see if it gives you a low falsing noise. A while back I bought an Explorer coil from Ebay that was bad but the seller argued it wasn't. I actually did believe him and think he just didn't no better. It detected targets but was not 100%. (noisy and falsed with a tap, likely a short)

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one thing - are you using the stock coil ?
if so did you remove the cover ? not to be smart, but some people don't realize there is a cover on the coil
it is just molded perfectly to it and kinda hard to get off

when i took mine off, low and behold there was a small amount of sand in there

vp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions