Gold only detector- Hot rock discrimination

Placer Paul

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If money wasn't an option which brand/model detector would you recommend for finding gold nuggets as deep as possible in and around a lot of hot rocks?

I own a Whites GMT and it's ok for pretty shallow gold and it can pick up pretty small pieces but it is bad with hot rocks. The area I am mining has tons and tons of hot rocks. I mechanical mine and mostly use the detector to go over my tailing piles to make sure I didn't miss and nuggets going through my sluice boxes and it's decent at that but if I could buy a detector that would completely cancel out those kinds of rocks and only sound off to gold it would help a lot.

I also dig prospecting trenches with my hoe so a good detector that could quickly scan different strata layers for gold as I dig down with the hoe would be a great asset to have especially if it wasn't messed up a lot by the hot rocks.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$8k, and I think it's an all metal pulse induction machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whether using a Fisher Goldbug ll; Whites GMT; or a Minelab GPX or GPZ, hot rocks are a problem. To a point, you can identify hot rocks by sound/tone. This is why nuggetshooting is THE hardest form of metal detecting.:occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI my XP Deus easily knows a hot rock from a true metal target. The sound is quite distinct. They do detect gold but I've only done that a couple times. It will not go as deep as a PI machine, but I saw guys with PI machine in the Virginia gold fields dig 300 piece of junk to 1 nugget, so that's not for me. Even in a desert terrain you're going to pick up fired bullets.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI my XP Deus easily knows a hot rock from a true metal target. The sound is quite distinct. They do detect gold but I've only done that a couple times. It will not go as deep as a PI machine, but I saw guys with PI machine in the Virginia gold fields dig 300 piece of junk to 1 nugget, so that's not for me. Even in a desert terrain you're going to pick up fired bullets.

Barbed wire; tiny birdshot pellets; boot nails; drywasher tacks; bullets; bean cans; yadda-yadda-yadda:laughing7:

Attachments

• Cac3.jpg
    Cac3.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Cac2.jpg
    Cac2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 93
  • Cac1.jpg
    Cac1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 87

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If money wasn't an option which brand/model detector would you recommend for finding gold nuggets as deep as possible in and around a lot of hot rocks?

The area I am mining has tons and tons of hot rocks.

There is only one machine that will work right in, and around, hot rocks.

The Tesoro Diablo µMAX

They very seldom come up for sale.But may now that Tesoro Electronics is looking for a buyer to take the reins.

The Diablo µMAX was turned out in smaller production numbers than the other machines.
(I've heard it said that there were only 200 or so machines produced)

What does the magic is the "Adjustable Hot Rock Feature"
A separate circuit that can be adjusted to the hot rocks you're having to deal with.

HOT ROCK ADJUST - Hot Rock Adjust Control Knob

This 1-turn knob controls response to minerals.
It covers a wider range of minerals than the ground adjust knob.
The way it works is similar to the GROUND Knob.
IT is used primarily for identifying and "Seeing through" "hot rocks", which are rocks that have a mineral composition different from the ground in which they found.

I have one of these machines and that feature works as described.

So there you have it.

SanMan

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sanman, too bad I don't live close enough to any decent sized gold fields.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is gold on my property here in Maryland. I have resisted getting a backhoe to the front lawn...for now...:laughing7:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is gold here in California.
Problem is, "it's California"

Little by little, bit by bit,....... outdoor recreation is being phased out.

Dirt biking, 4x4 areas, hunting, the shooting sports, fishing, boating, prospecting.

All the fun stuff is being over regulated and either taxed, pay a fee, get a permit,.........
A lot of people were worn out by the way things have gone.
Now those people mostly stay home and watch TV.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions