Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out with my new GT to an old house from the 1870's. I started hunting, iron mask on, disc up 2 notches, notch at full counter clock. There were alot (!) of loud sounds that almost became confusing to me, actually they did. I was tempted to become frustrated. I have used the old White's Spectrum since 1992 and was so accustomed to relying on the visual meter, that I did less digging, but surely missed alot of good stuff too. What advice to users have for encountering tons of signals like I did at this house? Smaller coil help? Dou experienced users ignore the loud, close to the surface signals and just listen for the quieter, deeper consistant sounds? I just was wanting advice on how experienced users handle the massive amount of signals that you may encounter in a somewhat trashy area. Alot of the signals were the high, good tone, but loud. The beach last week was fine as there were not the massive concentration of signals. Also, has anyone used the 14.5 coil with the GT?? Thanks for the advice, Bryan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot, I'll check it out. I also ordered that book, Finding Rings and gold with the excalluber and Sovereign, or something close to that. A friend told me it helped him alot. Bryan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't say where you had your sensitivity set but I suspect it was too high and over loading on the trash.

I do hunt some land with mine, I use the WOT 15 inch and the stock 10 inch on land depending on where I am hunting. While hunting a park one day Sov started going nuts. I couldn't understand what was up first few mins till I realized there was a lot of clad with in a 6 foot circle and the 15 inch coil was seeing all of it at the same time. There was over $3.00 in clad in a small circle and it was overloading on the signals.

Good luck and good Hunting.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a few suggestions quickly as I have a ton of work to finish in the office tonight.

1. Make sure your sensitivity is set to AUTO. Too much sensitivity will produce tons of sounds and lots of false signals.

2. Make sure your ground balance is set to AUTO. If the GB is off too far you'll get loads of noise and false signals.

3. Keep IRON MASK on and set it to THRESHOLD and PINPOINT.

4. Check all signals from 2 directions.

5. The coil pinponits at the top or bottom. One of the biggest mistakes made with the GT is thinking the target is pinpointed at the top of the coil when in fact it's pinpointed at the heel or bottom of the coil. This can make for a great deal of frustration while digging. The DD coil is not like the concentric coil.

I wish I could come to your site to show you how to hunt it but you'll learn if you have patience and study.

Best to you,

Badger

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the sensitivity on auto most of the time. I tried at one point to set it at about 6 oclock, but then went back to auto. I just think that there was so much metal in this yard for some reason.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you know some one that has a Sovereign see if they will go out with you. That is your best bet. I have used a Sovereign since they first came out and have used about every detector out there except some Tesoro's while i only used 1 that's one Tesoro.And always went back to the Sovereign.I took to the Sovereign like a duck to water.............................. === Jim ===

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree Jim, the Sovereign is superior to the rest. The others are very good but the Sovereign is in a class by itself.

And too, it's nothing at all like the Excalibur. Often people write to me and ask if the Sovereign and Excal are the same. I've owned both and the Sovereign GT beats the Excalibur 1000 in every way.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes Michigan Badger you are right on.People will say the.. Sovereign..&..Excalibur.. are the same but the..Sovereign.. is way superior to the .Excalibur. I know for i had both of them and got rid of the . Excalibur. To me the . Excalibur. did not come close to being as good as the ...Sovereign... Love that Sovereign......................... ===Jim===

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread