Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings, all. I’ve been experiencing some user-related problems with my 800. Not uncommon to get constant overload of tones regardless of the position of the coil in relation to the ground. How low can the sensitivity be set before the machine is ineffective? Internet videos show setting of 20. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I’ve got to get out a few times before we go into total lockdown.
HH
dts

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on where you hunt 20 may be way too high. Too many people think you have to run max sensitivity to find anything and that is total bunk. Even with sense at 10 you will find plenty of good targets. On many areas I run down around 16 to get rid of the chatter and I can still hit a dime over 8". Depth is very overrated unless you are cache hunting. Most coins I have found in fifty years of detecting have been in the top 6" of soil in undisturbed soil (no landscaping or silting in from floods). The problem with high sensitivity and chatter is that although you may get a small bit more depth you will be more likely to miss a good signal in all the chatter. Turn the sense down until the chatter disappears and all the good signals stand out which will result in a better recovery ratio. In the woods where there is little trash in the ground I can run pretty high, but in most parks and public areas, even private houses I have to turn it down to 16-18. Don't forget to noise cancel. Ground balance should not be necessary if you have mild soil but most do it anyways.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run 18 all the time anymore....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Once I accidentally sent hunting with mine set on 13...still went deep enough and it actually helped me notice a Zippo that was sitting in an area with massive iron signals surrounding and under it.
Serendipity...hunted this exact area a ton with the Nox and many other detectors and coils and missed this thing every time so those low settings actually might have helped on that one.

Last edited:

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Manually set mine to 10 while testing in the house and still got 2 pennies at 4-5 inches the next day before I remembered what I'd done. Sensitivity has more to do with how sensitive the detector is to smaller targets than it does the depth, although both are impacted at lower sensitivity settings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread