PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may have missed if there is another thread on this topic, but was wondering if anyone has went from the E-Trac to Equinox 800 and how the two compare.

I have had the E-trac for about 8 years and really like it, but even using the stock 11 inch coil my arm tires pretty fast. Yesterday I was using my coiltek WOT coil and was tired after only an hour. I like using the big coil, but damn it is heavy.

I have heard the EQ 800 is lighter and better balanced. Just wondering how this detector compares to the E-trac on performance and any other input you may have. It is obviously priced significantly less the E-trac so wondering how the depth and features compare.

Thanks,

Pete

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly what I did, went from the Etrac to the Equinox 800. The Etrac doesn't get much use now. I do like the numbering system better on the Etrac and the Etrac's way of dealing with EMI seems more effective, but, other than that, I like the Equinox better. Being much lighter and waterproof is a definite plus. The detection depth seems comparable to me using the same approximate size coil. To me, the transition from the Etrac to the Nox wasn't a big deal. Took me maybe 50 hours before I was comfortable with it. Oh, one other thing, the Equinox will find the tiny gold targets much better than the Etrac. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Mark.

The wireless headphone sound like a big plus as well as the waterproof too. Do you have the 15 inch coil also, I'm sure I would eventually end up getting that and the 6 inch at some point.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, love the wireless headphones, and I have all 3 coils. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Equinox 800 due to arrive tomorrow along with the 15 and 6 inch coils.

Can't wait to get out this weekend.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the Etrac - cranked my elbow pretty quickly. Got the CTX and sold the Etrac here. I could swing the CTX for hours longer than the Etrac. Still have the CTX, but got the EQ800 as well = far more comfortable on the elbow, and I've not seen any real difference in capabilities.

Note that I do not use either the CTX or the EQ in the water. My modded Excal II (at Kellyco) takes care of the water for me, love it!

Edit: Further note that I actually prefer my Tesoro Tejon over either the CTX or EQ dirt digging = fully capable machine, and basically a beep & dig. After you've swung one for a while, you learn the good vs bad targets by sound alone.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know......I've found a lot of good targets in the dirt that had sketchy sounds to rely on sound alone. I like to have some sort of target I.D. and a depth reading to add to the mix before I decide to strain myself digging it up.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on keeping the E-trac and still have an Excall II , but I'm sure I will at least try the Equinox in the water.

I agree with Mark that I like using the TID as well as the sound.

Do you guys use the 5 tones or 50? I figure I'll try both out and see what I like better. I plan to start out running pretty much factory settings and just ground balance before I tinker with much.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In most situations, I like to use 50 tone and all metal.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You're all set on detectors that should cover just about every aspect of MDing. Good luck!

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're all set on detectors that should cover just about every aspect of MDing. Good luck!

Yeah I think so, had to talk myself into whether I really needed another detector.

Still compared to some folks on here, I'm just getting started.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I went with the 50 tones, wanted to hear everything about the target before I got mud on my knees...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions